Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

EPIDURAL

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:41 PM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: ARE YUO GOING TO GET AN EPIDURAL?

Options:

YES

NO

I DONT KNOW

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

IM STILL DEBATING WEATHER I SHOULD GET AN EPIDURAL OR IF I SHOULD JUST GO WITHOUT AND IM GETTING SO MANY DIFFRENT STORIES ABOUT THEM SO I WAS WOUNDERING WHAT EVERYONE HERE IS DOING?
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trasynnsmom
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:44 PM
i had an epidural with my first daughter and it was great, it did wear off at 8 centimeters but they topped it off and it got better. other than that i had no problem with it.
Crystals_Mom07
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:47 PM

The main reason I'm not getting an epidural is because I've had two spinal fussion surgeries. The first one, they corrected my spine (made it as straight as they could), and put metal rods in, and the second one, they took the rods out because they were broken. I'm worried that an epidural might cause complications.

The other reasons for me not getting an epidural is because there are a lot of girls here that have been having babies lately, and a lot of them had the epidural. They had a hard time pushing because of the epidural, and some of them ended up having to have c-sections. I REALLY REALLY don't want a c-section. I havent made up my mind yet about whether or not I'll choose to have an epidural if I have to have a c-section. I'm thinking I may just get them to knock me out....

I'm just sharing my reasons for why I chose no. Getting an epidural is your choice, and I'm not trying to talk you out of getting one. I don't see any problem with other women getting them, I just don't think it's right for me.

Cynthia<3

riotgrrl
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:48 PM
I had two births with no medication and one with Stadol. I opted not to get an epidural because the risk of complications, no matter how small, and because there were other options such as the stadol without the risks associated with an epidural.
lovlegs84
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:49 PM
i had one with my first i was very skeptical and almost waited too late i got one at 8 1/2 cm .... good thing i did kaylee was 8lbs 3 oz when she was born .... i can't even imagine what i would have felt if i went all natural....

good luck
Lsmom
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:08 PM
Let me tell you this.....do what you want to do, and do not let anyone tell you otherwise....you will know what is right, at that time...trust me.  For me, it was never an option, I knew going in that I wanted an epidural, I am not a big pain person.....if drugs can help, bring em on!! ha ha.  Anyway, I wanted to go as long as I could though.....at 3:45 am my water broke, we got to the hospital at about 4:30 am.....they started petosin at 9am....and the contractions were coming hard by 11am.  By 12pm, oh dear....I was literally shaking uncontrollably, throwing up, sweating like nobodys business, and felt absolutley horid.....I was trying ot breath through it, etc....but that was not helping, and I am not spastic either, I was not yelling or going nuts, I was very calm, but in soooo much pain.  So, I opted to get the epidural ASAP at that point.  They gave it to me, and an hour later I was sleeping peacfully in my bed having contraction after contraction that I could not feel.....HEAVEN!!  At 5:45pm they checked me and we were ready to push....I pushed 10 mins....and felt none of it by the way.....I had a mirror and watched her come out, and my husband and I were laughing and smiling the whole time I was pushing her out.  10 mins later, she was out.  6:05pm, a beautiful baby girl.....it was perfect.  I really do not think that I would have wanted it anyother way.  I personally, thought it was great, there was no screaming, no pain, just perfect peace and beauty.  But, there are others I know who think that and have no epidural....so it is just a personal prefrence really.......But, like I said, do what YOU want....not your husband, not your mom, not the doctor, not other moms on cafemom.....YOU.  Trust me, you will know if you want to when its time to yell EPIDURAL NOW!!!
mommy0327
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:21 PM
I really really really didn't want to use any medication with my first born. But the pain was something I didn't completley get myself ready for. I had the epidural and don't regreti it. It did make things ( the pushing and the pain!) go alot easier. But with this one I really would like to try a water birth, no nothing at all but my mind. It's really up to how much PAIN you can handle!! Good luck!
juneimnot
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM
As stated before, it is definitely your decision.  I've had friends who want to give birth "naturally", and others like me that want an epidural upon arrival.  I've done it both ways.  With my first, I got an epidural right away, slept through most of the labor, and pushed out a healthy baby easily.  With my second, I planned an epidural, but he came too quickly- from a 4-10 in a half hour!  I was freaked out about delivering without meds. and it really prevented me from being calm and rational during his birth.  I was out of my mind with fear and pain.  Looking back, it was painful, but over immediately as soon as he was born.  It wasn't as bad as I made it out to be.  I wish I had been more open to not having meds, just to be mentally prepared.  Also. my recovery was much quicker with the second, than the first.  I am sure partly because my body had been through it before, but also I could walk immediately after, and didn't swell like I did with the epidural.  All in all, go in with an open mind that anything may happen and you'll survive and have a precious baby to show for it.
amum23
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Quoting lovlegs84:

i had one with my first i was very skeptical and almost waited too late i got one at 8 1/2 cm .... good thing i did kaylee was 8lbs 3 oz when she was born .... i can't even imagine what i would have felt if i went all natural....

good luck
I had 3 9+ pound babies with no epidural....... (I was at home)

You have a fifty fifty chance of getting a c section with an epidural. Do your own research on the problems with eppies. Make an informed and educated desicion. Dont just take every ones word for it ..........Get the facts!!!!
jenifuz
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 6:26 PM
I think it's really a personal decision.  There are plusses and minuses to getting an epidural.  For me I hate being in pain and don't want to be uncomfortable if I don't have to be.  I had an epidural for both of my boys and will most likely be having one with this one.  The epidural with my first worked so well that it was harder to push becuase I couldn't feel anything.  With my second, it worked completely on one side but not all the way on the other side.  It did make it easier to push and really know what my body was telling me to do.
scheli
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 6:35 PM
Yes I am going to get the epidural.  I did not get it when I was in labor with my 8 year old daughter and half way through the labor I was regretting it and the had to give me something to ease the pain but by the time I was pushing her out it had worn off and was too late for anything else.  This time without a diught I will be getting the epidural.  I will not make that mistake a second time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN