Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breast shells for flat nipples

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM
  • 6 Replies

So, I've searched for previous posts and I haven't really found an answer to my question. My doctor says I need to get breast shells for my nipples because they haven't come out yet. I'm 34 weeks.  I don't like the idea of forcing them out or having plastic on my breasts.  I tend to break out in a rash when I put even the wrong bandaids on my skin. I'm afraid I would get sweaty and itchy and rashy wearing the breast shells. 

Do I really need breast shells or will it be okay without them and just happen when it's time?

Thanks In Advance!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LisaMurphy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:23 AM

BUMP!

tomary
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I have no idea...sorry. But maybe wait and see and if it doesn't happen then you can think about other options.

CafeMom Tickers
tomib
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM
mariscilla
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:53 AM
i had the same issue i used a sheild for the first few weeks on and off to get the baby used to it. by the 2 month we no longer needed it. i would suggest if you havnt already to join the breasting feeding groups here. they are great and helpped me get through some rough times especially when i wanted to give up. my son just recently weaned on his own at 18 months. Breastfeeding is not easy like they make it look on tv. there's latching issues and pain...oh the pain...you kinda arent prepared when you first try...and add on inverted nipples it gets tuffer. but all the pain and frustration pays off in the end when you stick to it. no one ever told me this and like i said these groups helped me get through some rough times. Good luck momma.
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM

ive never nursed with flat nipples, but dont you think you could at least try it out and see if it works before using the shells?  ive heard of it being a little more difficult, but i would at least give it a try if you dont want to use those shells based off of rashes.  or you could try the shell at the beginning and see if it helps.  bump

faithdeb
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM

The shells never worked for me, personally (well they do work but the minute I take them off they are flat again).  You can give it a try for a day and see what happens.  The good shells (from motherhood) are made from silicone and they didn't bother me too much.  I ended up needing nipple shields (these are so helpful for those of us with flat/inverted nipples).  I'd talk to a Lactation Consultant and get her opinion.  I don't take nursing advice from a man or a woman who hasn't breast fed.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)