Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is it that humanity ever survived?!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:17 AM
  • 9 Replies

Now this is my first pregnancy. I was completely ignorant before I got pregnant of this entire new world I've been opened up to. I've been doing tons of research, asking questions, reading, etc etc. Something thats really got me wondering though is how humans ever survived this long without baby wipe warmers, epidurals and other pain medications, and a huge slew of other 'things' that we must or must not do to keep our children safe. To blanket or not to blanket in a crib. Plastics! OMG BPA!!! GERMS!!!!!!!! Keep every last chance of a germ away from your baby or your going to hell it seems. Electrical outlet guards, I shocked myself one time when I was little and quickly learned to not stick things in those neat little holes. I'm not looking to start a fight on here, but perhaps a discussion. Is it just me not thinking 100% like a mother yet because I haven't given birth? Isn't a lesson better learned from a child shocking themselves once or twice instead of never being allowed to figure out why mommy and daddy kept telling them not to do that? How much is ok to protect our kids without suffocating them and allowing them to learn on their own?

Please don't get catty, these are honest things I wonder about.

pregnancy

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sophismom00
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I too feel lessons learned are learned better by yourself than having someone just beat you over the head with no's but then again after giving birth to two beautiful little girls it is hard to remember that somethings they need to learn themselves. Also, all the new germs and the other things it is hard to remember that once upon a time we ourselves were brought up in a world like that, once you go through labor and watch that precious baby come out your mind gets a little skewed! lol My bf tells me I know too much and am no longer allowed to go to school, I am a nurse and am working on my bachelor's now, so he states that i am way too overboard. Its just hard not to look at them and want to do everything in your power to make it easier and safer but then again I agree that a lot of these things make their lives a little more difficult.

othermom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Somethings are better to let the kids learn,I don't think the sockets are one. Me and my brother used to take apart the cars that went on the tracks that you controled them with a remote and take the motors and stick the wires in the sockets to make them go really fast untily they burned out, we were older though. There are a lot of things that we have now that we could do with out when raising kids, it is about convenience with a lot of it. Same with many other things in our lives like e-mail, microwaves, ect

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:30 AM

this is what my hubby always tells me.  there is a country song (of course i dont know the name or who sings it) that talks about stuff like this and yet they are still all alive.  

even though we want our kids to learn, i guess him and i dont mind protecting our kids as best possible esp when they are still very young.  like we have the outlet covers on our plugs but if we see them intersted in it, we still tell them ouch!  i guess i try to baby proof what i can...and my 2 yr old can get around all the baby proofing already.  she had taken out the outlet covers, she could climb any gate since she was one, but at least now you can reason with her about dangers and what they are and she understands.

Erika2408
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Humanity has survived but with time comes better health care and better knowledge.  As for the BPA  plastics its everywhere and I like that they are taking it out of the baby bottles but it is still used in the baby food plastic containers and the big thing about that is a lot of people will reuse these and when reheated they will then leach into the food. This chemical has been found in fish along with other chemicals, and it can cause reproductive issues. Now do I avoid it all together....no I can't its near impossible. There is a ton of safety items out and I don't have plug covers on everything and my son don't mess with them he will however try and plug my iron in or something so thats something to think about.  It's all stuff you lean as you and your baby grow.

CafeMom Tickers
babies
JHall
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I wasn't one to worry much when I was pregnant with my first, m mom always fussed you are going to worry so much when that baby is born.  LOL  Now I did some stupid things when I was a kid sticking fingers in sockets was my biggest thing don't know why either????  But I did it so much my grand mother finally put tape over it to keep me from getting to it. Now when it comes to our babies we just let them do what they want but if it looks like it will be something that will hurt then the no's start.  I couldn't tell you how many times my DD has not listened to me about not doing something and has learned the hard way but yet she still does it.  When it comes to germs coming ffrom a mom that once had a very sick kid the doctors will tell you germs can be our friends sometimes.  The babies and kids need germs to build their immune system so that later on it won't kick their butts, but as long as you can keep things like the flu away from young kid/babies then no need to worry. Kids will get sick they are little germ factories even taking your little one to a "well checkup" is risking your little one getting sick. The one thing I get a kick out of is BPA in the bottles we used the bottles when we were babies they did have BPA in them but here we all are now fine and healthy Just don't put those suckers in the dishwasher thats when the BPA leaks out.

Congrats on being a mommy hey the way I look at it you are a mommy even thought you haven't given birth yet.  The moms on here are pretty cool  and I think for the most part we are all pretty chatty here

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
pregowithfifth
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I totally agree!  I hate to say it but I used to be the one to not let my oldest do anything I had the house baby proofed I even had a lock on the toilet so she could not drown in it!  I now have 4 and I still dont let them run with sissors but I dont have eyes in the back of my head and can not watch all 4 at all times.  If they are doing something that could end in them being seriously hurt (running with sticks) I call them on it and tell them it is not ok but if they are sword fighting with the sticks then I keep an eye on them but the first time one of them gets hit on the knuckles or the arm and come running to say Mom so and so hit me with the stick I simply tell them that they knew it was a possibility and if they dont like getting hurt then dont play that game.  I am still a worrywart about everything but I also know that sometimes a lesson needs to be learned by experiance.  I fell down a flight of stairs when I was 6 because my mother telling me not to run up or down the stairs just did not do the trick but when I broke my arm on those stairs because I was running down them to go outside and play now that was a hard lesson to learn but I have not run down stairs since.  Or the time I broke my moms dragon statue because I was swinging something around over my head and of course my mother must have told me 100 times not to do it but lesson was not learned till something got broken and my but was black and blue.  I know that as a mom it is hard to let your child do something that can hurt but when telling them no and dont do that it will hurt is not enough let them get a shock they will learn quick.

Aus
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Its replies like this that I was hoping for... thanks

pregnancy

JennaFoix
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I totally agree with you!!!! I never did the whole baby proofing crap and wont with this one either. Not onyl will they learn a lesson but they will also learn to listen to thier parents. If theres protection from cabinets,doors electrical outlets toilets whatever.....then mom or dad isnt there watching them and telling them no no hunny thats dangerous. those things were invented for lazy parents that dont wanna run after/watch thier kids  IMO!! 

GERMSSS oh geez if you never let your kid get sick how will they ever build up an immune system??? Sickness is a part of life and a cold isnt gonna kill them.

Btw I have a 5 yr old so I am already a mother and feel the same as you. I think half the crap out there now a days is a bunch of crap!!!! and only makes for EVEN MORE laziness. 

housefullofkidz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

LOL! It is amazing we survived our own childhoods! We went sledding yesterday and it made me think of wearing breadbags on my hands and feet when I played in the snow as a child.

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)