Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our Responsibility?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM
  • 17 Replies

I am feeling a little  upset right now because i have to take my son to the doc today for a croupy sounding cough, cold symptoms and a fever. The reason it upsets me is because i feel it really could have been avoided by one simple step.

Last sunday, my husband took my son to a friends house with him while i went out with a friend. My dh's friend knew my son would be comming, and still didnt feel the need to let us know there oldest had a cough. It was just my son and there two children.  Well, through the week, there youngest got super sick and spent this last weekend in the hospital with RSV. Im upset because i beleive the "just a cough" was actually much more, probably croup, and now my son has it, the little girl i babysit has to go to the doc as well now and every child my son may have been around through the week may have been exposed..

I always try and inform people with kids who will be around my son if he is sick so that they can make the decison on wether they want to risk exposure or not. I just thought that is what we has parents should do. He didnt get sick till this last friday, so i had no idea! I dont konw, its not like we can go back now, i just wish i had been told, hey my kids got a cough by the way. So that i could have either said ok, well i will stay home with him, or thanks for telling me, no biggy. ughhh sorry for the vent, i just feel its our responsibility to let other parents know when our kids are sick. What do you guys think?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anjalee033
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:14 AM

i one thousand percent agree!!! any parent has the resposibility of telling other parents if their child is sick. altho if men were the only ones there they dont think like mothers do in this. they wouldnt think anything about it. but thats men. but yes i always tell people if my kiddos r sick!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:14 AM

yea i hear ya!  im always informing ppl about the simplest of colds, etc...but i wish people would do the same in return then we can make our decision to come over or not.  i remember for thanksgiving, i was notifying my whole family because my one daughter had a rash...well someone in my family told me not to come..needless to say i later find out one person had the flu there, and one family there had a sick kid too!  and of course while im notifying everyone including them that we wouldnt be coming etc..here they are just quiet...so frustrating.  i told my mom i do this so in return ppl would tell me stuff.  but of course nope.  and my kids have gotten sick many times from me not knowing until around them.  oh well...i guess we can only do our best on our end.  i hope your child isnt sick with anything serious along with the girl you babysit.  how frustrating. im sorry!

JHall
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Totally.  I love it when someone warns us their kid is sick I love it even when adults that are going to be around my kid says I'm sick.  I do feel the need to tell others that might be around my kids that if and when she does get sick OH hey my kid is sick.  That way if they still come over it is all on them and not you cause you let them know.  Good luck I hope your little man gets to feeling better and it it just a cold and nothing more.

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
Lbluv20
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Quoting anjalee033:

i one thousand percent agree!!! any parent has the resposibility of telling other parents if their child is sick. altho if men were the only ones there they dont think like mothers do in this. they wouldnt think anything about it. but thats men. but yes i always tell people if my kiddos r sick!

No the mom was there lol thats what really irritates me.I could deffenitly understand if it were the men, they are sorta clueless aboutthat stuff lol

grapejelly
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Yeah I totally agree with you.  Any sort of illness should be talked about.  It's not fair to you or your son now...  Ugh, some people just don't get it.  I'm super conscious of it just being pregnant, I won't go around people who are sick or showing any symptoms, if I can help it because I get every stinking thing I'm exposed to right now.. it's ridiculous!

CafeMom Tickers

SugaMomma87
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I dont think this should just be about kids.  if the adult is sick as well they should tell you.  My roomies girlfriend was coming around with a could 4 weeks ago with fever, cough and all and we had to ask her to leave and not come back until she was better.  I have a really bad immune system and ended up catching it and have had it for 2 weeks.  I went to the dr last week because i got so bad i couldnt breathe.  I think people who are sick should inform others and if it there are situations like ours where they know you cant afford to be ill.  Stay the heck away!!!

jennifer_dewig
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM

yeah, of course, just in case someone that has a child with something severe and the immune system might not be as strong. I always let my friends know weather they have childern or not. Its just the rite thing too do, if not its rude and selfish! Just me though

7thHeavenx
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I firmly believe that if you or your kids are sick or are getting over being sick that they should warn any guests ahead of time. We have 6 young kids in our family and it pisses me off to no end what people who are sick come around our family without warning or taking precautions because its very VERY difficult for us to contain illness when someone catches it in our family. 

My daughter started school this year we have been sicker than ever this winter. It always starts with her and spreads through the whole family. Since she's started school we caught the seasonal flu strand A in September (a month earlier than they even give flu shots) and then swine flu in October (again before the vaccine was even available) then a horrific stomach virus after Christmas. I even bought the classroom plenty of hand sanitizer and I make sure when I volunteer the kids use it liberally. It drives me crazy because lazy parents send their sick kids to school because they can't miss work. Then MY kid gets sick- and my other FIVE kids get sick and MY husband has to take off work because someone else was irresponsible and sent their sick kid to school to infect mine and instead of doing the right thing and getting their  kid a sitter or staying home with them, now we all have to suffer.

Sorry! This subject gets under my skin! 

Heather- Expecting Lucky Number 7!

EarthGirl84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM

It is DEFINITELY a parent's responsibility to warn other parents about their child/children's present health issues before others are exposed to them. It's not just irresponsible not to do so, but just plain rude.

jamiesmom1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I totally agree with you. I run a daycare from my home and I ALWAYS let my parents know in advance before bringing their children if me, my son, even my husband are sick. That way it is their choice if they want to expose their children. I also have a policy that if their child is sick, they must stay home until fever has been gone for at least 24 hours. this is to protect me, my unborn daughter, my son and my husband. I think it is fair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)