Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epi, Spinal, or general anistithia??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok so if you have read some of my posts you know that I am pushing for a vbac, but if that doesn't work and i have to have another c-section, I am trying to decide what kind of anestetic to use. With my daughter they had to get me open like right now so I was put all the way under. with my son I had an Epi, (at least thats what they said) there were plusses and minuses to both, with my daughter no one got to be in there with me, and I slept through it (obviously lol) and I didn't get to meet her till she was a couple hours old. With my son both my mom and my husband were there, and I was awake through the whole thing and I got to hold him about 20 minutes after he was born. The biggest difference was recovery time with my son my back hurt so bad after having him that I couldn't stand up straight for almost 6 weeks, and I couldn't walk very well. I was in so much pain for so long, but with my daughter I was only in severe pain for a few days and then It was real mild and only if I overdid it. I have heard that the spinal tap is better but I don't want to go through what I went through with my son again. Has anyone ever had both an epi and a spinal (seperately) and which was better for you? If you had to do it again what would you choose? I don't reallly want to be put under again, but.... and my hubby won't mind waiting in the waiting room. He almost passed out when my son was born. He doesn't do well with blood and stuff unless its his. lol.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I've never had a c-section but I did have the epi (for a natural birth) and I actually didn't mind the epi but then again, I really have nothing to compare it to.. I'm going to try for all natural this time around b/c I don't want to pay for the epi..

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM

i know generally they docs will only use general anesethsia if it is an emergency or the epi or spinal are not working.  otherwise they dont like using it due to the risks to the baby and you.  overall, it is practiced where i go that you get a spinal for a pre-schedule c-section and epidurals are used when you are already trying ot go vaginal but have one alreayd in placed..they just dull you up for the c-section then.  every hospital practices differently, so you may want to ask what their protocols are for iether using epidurals versus spinals, etc..  good luck with your vbac!  :)

KITTYCAT1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I had an epi (for the birth of my second daughter) and a spinal (for surgery recently). I had NO pain after the epi. I was able to walk around and sit up a few hour later. After the spinal I couldn't sit up strait for a few days and after 4 days it still feels like my back is bruised and hurts when I bend. I'm having another epi for the birth of this baby.

JHall
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I've done both epi and spinal and really for me the only big difference was the way it was done for me. Since they our second was an emerg c section I was on my side instead of setting up I wasn't too happy about this being that it hurt. The epi was pretty good not fond of needles but not that bad.  I would say if  you decide you are going to try the Vbac first go ahead and get the epi so that if you need a section the pain meds are already in place just might need to be kicked up a bit.

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
Twinboysmom22
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Both of my c sections they gave me a spinal and an epi.

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I haven't had a cesarean, I can't offer personal advice, but I would prefer not to have general, if I did.   I would want to be awake and see my baby asap.

It's good to check into these options, especially with a history of surgical birth, but I encourage you to keep learning about the VBAC, too.   :-)   You know I will be here to help as much as I can for ideas, info, encouragement, support...

hugs!!!!!

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

lmurphy22
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM

The whole reason I want to do the vbac is to avoid serious painkillers like the epi. I want to experience it. If I have any drugs at all I want the fetenol IV drip. Nothing else. That and after my son I broke out in hives from the waist down. This makes me think I am allergic to something in the epi. and they told me that I had a 1% chance of getting a migraine during surgery and I was laying there all fine and all of a sudden BAM the worst headache I have ever had hit me like a freight train. not sure if it was the epi or not tho.

Quoting JHall:

I've done both epi and spinal and really for me the only big difference was the way it was done for me. Since they our second was an emerg c section I was on my side instead of setting up I wasn't too happy about this being that it hurt. The epi was pretty good not fond of needles but not that bad.  I would say if  you decide you are going to try the Vbac first go ahead and get the epi so that if you need a section the pain meds are already in place just might need to be kicked up a bit.

CafeMom Tickers

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I've only had a spinal but it was great and I highly recommend them for c sections. It was quick and easy to get, and worked very well. I would definitely choose a spinal again. I am planning a drug free VBAC though too. :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)