• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Pacifier for your baby?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM
  • 29 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I'm sort of new here, but wanted to get the opinion of mothers that already have a child or 2- or have some experience when it comes to pacifiers..

Have any of you raised your babies without pacifiers? What others methods did you use in its place for those times when your baby cries, gets moody, is sleepy etc...?

I guess I'm one of those first time moms that just doesnt want to see my child dependant on a pacifier. I will NEVER EVER knock the moms that use them because I have seen many many children quiet down when they do have one- I just want to know how I can get my baby to function without one. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM

with my first child i was dead set against pacifiers...needless to say..after 3 weeks we used one.  our second child, didnt really care for pacifiers, so we didnt use it all that often.  we only used them when the child was wanting to pacify themselves by nursing rather than being hungry.  and when they got older, we just gave it to them at night time if they needed it.  needless to say, i will definaetly introduce a paci with this next LO.  i also wanted to avoid thumb sucking is why i resorted to a paci..a lot easier to throw out the paci.

HeidiLong07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Both of my kids had/have binkies.  My daughter lost interest with hers at about 18 months.  My son on the other hand is 16 months and it seems it is going to be a lot harder to get him to let go of his.  He is not allowed to have it when we are out and about.  He knows that it stays in the car.

I didn't want to use one for him, because I thought it would be easier without, but I was wrong.  Those first few days at home were hard.  He wanted to nurse 24/7, so I gave in. 

Good luck.

jupiter84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:52 AM

We don't use pacifiers.  I breastfeed and there are many times, especially when they're newborn, that I end up being the pacifier.  I love this time when I get to be so close and bonded with the baby.  I am also a big fan of having a sling or wrap to wear the baby, so that baby can be close and comforted but you can still get things done. 

Twinboysmom22
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I did not want binkies at all!! Then my son got RSV at 4 weeks old and was on life support, once they took him off of it the nurses gave him a binky to calm him once he woke up and didn't freak out over his throat hurting from the tubes being down his throat (he was sedated the entire time on life support).  Then my other son was with my in laws while we were at the hospital and she gave him one..she was persistant even though he didn't want it.  Eventually he caved.  

So when we got home we used them, at 12 months I took one away and it was fine, the other one through a fit like crazy.  At 18 months I said he was a big boy and if he wants in his big boy bed he needed to give his binky to the binky fairy, so he did with no problems.

This baby I am using it, I feel that I know how to wean a child off of it so I feel ok with using one now.  That is why I was so against them because I didn't want my child having one for a long time and needing it for years. 

Cynthje
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I have two kids and both refused them, with the next one im not even going to try. both my kids breastfed so they used me and never wanted anything else.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

Mortiferouslatt
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Quoting jupiter84:

We don't use pacifiers.  I breastfeed and there are many times, especially when they're newborn, that I end up being the pacifier.  I love this time when I get to be so close and bonded with the baby.  I am also a big fan of having a sling or wrap to wear the baby, so that baby can be close and comforted but you can still get things done. 

my thoughts exactly, and pacis arent great for their teeth. If youre breastfeeding the paci can cause nipple confusion.

sunshinemama86
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM

well with my first i was set against them too but they gave her one in the hospital! honestly it was no big deal it can lower the chance of SIDS. she stopped using it around 9 months i just throw them all out one day and it was over. i wanted to get rid of them before she could ask for them. so it worked fine for us but i guess everyone has a different experience with them.

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I am the mother of two kids and we never used pacifiers. 

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Both of my boys had pacifiers. I weaned my first of his at 1 1/2 yrs b/c he looked 3 and I got tired of the looks...yea those same looks I give when i see a 3,4,or 5 yr old with a bottle or binky in there mouth LOL. My second is currently 16 months and still very much on his. I will be weaning him down to only at night probably by 18 months b/c he will have a new sibling in the house by 21 months and I need him weaned by then. To me I have heard more from women who didn't use binkies of how they wished there child did use them so they could be settled then from women wishing there children never took them. And generally children will become attached to something weither its the boob, a blanket, or the thumb. I just swore to never have a thumb sucker. I will take a binky sucker over a thumb sucker anyday!! I sat next to a girl in highschool who still sucked her thumb. My brother still sucked his thumb at night until he was like 18 and for all I know he still does LOL I hate thumb sucking LOL

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM

No binkie, I just nursed her or walked around with the sling, etc.   Used my pinkie sometimes...

;-)

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)