Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips, coupons and money savers? piog

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hello Ladies! Since I will soon be laid off from my job, I am trying to save as MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE! I know you ladies have the best tips and ideas, if you don't mind sharing?

This question is more about COUPONS!! One of my girlfriends told me to go to all the diaper websites and sign up for coupons for different brands of diapers.

Also, SAMPLES! She said that she would get different samples from different diaper companies ob about 1-5 diapers that they send you.

Do you ladies have any ideas to get ANYTHING to help out with the baby since I will soon be jobless? Any advice will help!!

Even if you don't have any advice, PLEASE BUMP!! I am sure that there are other ladies out there that could use the same pointers! So PLEASE BUMP!

Thank you all SO much!

(if there is a group that was created about this topic, do you mind telling me about it? I am still kinda new and don't know how to find it lol)

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:05 PM

websites have a ton of coupons on them for food, diapers, etc...just type your favorite brands in and go to their websites and most of the time you can sign up or there will be coupons ready to print.  also, i always try to buy stuff on sale if i can.  that helps a lot on the saving end.  also, i keep my reciepts for two weeks just in case they have a sale then i can get money back if i bought something not on sale.

MeganGallagher
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Quoting meam4444:

websites have a ton of coupons on them for food, diapers, etc...just type your favorite brands in and go to their websites and most of the time you can sign up or there will be coupons ready to print.  also, i always try to buy stuff on sale if i can.  that helps a lot on the saving end.  also, i keep my reciepts for two weeks just in case they have a sale then i can get money back if i bought something not on sale.

Ahhh! Great idea! Thanks a ton

SugaMomma87
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Hey girl, start stocking up a head of time.  My hubby and I started doing this and we have 3 costco boxes of diapers, wipes, and some baby food that doesnt expire until 2013.lol  I doubt it will last that long.lol also if you are getting laid off you can get WIC checks that helps with food and you can also get state assistance as well.  And unemployment.  I would seriously consider all of this stuff.  It is not meant to be a permanent thing, but until you are back on your feet after having your son it will help so much.

MeganGallagher
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Quoting SugaMomma87:

Hey girl, start stocking up a head of time.  My hubby and I started doing this and we have 3 costco boxes of diapers, wipes, and some baby food that doesnt expire until 2013.lol  I doubt it will last that long.lol also if you are getting laid off you can get WIC checks that helps with food and you can also get state assistance as well.  And unemployment.  I would seriously consider all of this stuff.  It is not meant to be a permanent thing, but until you are back on your feet after having your son it will help so much.

Ahh thanks Sugamomma! What would I do w/out you? lol Costco is such a good idea, why did i not think of that????

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:26 PM

bump!  i want to know more money saving ideas too!  :)

MeganGallagher
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Quoting meam4444:

I posted on a different group as well. And I VERY smart mother posted this.  Thought I would share it with you!

How To Make A Budget In 10 Simple Steps

1. Track your expenditures for a period of one week to one month. Record every cent that you spend. It’s important to know where your money goes before you set about building a realistic budget. You also need to make a list of expenses that, while not regular monthly bills, occur periodically and must be accounted for (i.e. vehicle registration, property taxes, medical co-pays, etc.). These irregular expenses may be tougher to determine, but try to determine a realistic estimate.
  2. Make decisions about your budget. Once you’ve gathered the information, it’s decision time! Could you do without the data plan on your cell phone in favor of the basic voice service in order to save $40 each month or $840 per year? Must you have both Netflix and HBO? Does your dog need a monthly trip to the groomer, or could you bathe him at home? These are the types of questions you will need to ask yourself. As you make these decisions, you should then terminate accounts, change service plans, and/or take other needed actions to effect the necessary changes.

3. Consider the structure of your budget. How are you paying your bills? Most pre-designed systems are designed on a monthly budget cycle. For many people, this works. Personally, I’ve built my budget on a bi-weekly cycle, as this is how I’m paid. For instance, my husband and I alternate paying our $750 rent each month. So every two weeks, I budget $187.50 toward rent. At the end of two months, I’ve got my full rent payment already set aside.
  4. Build your budget. Once you’ve decided what you will spend your money on and how your budget will be structured, it’s time to create your plan. Whether on paper, in a spreadsheet, using personal budget software such as YNAB (You Need A Budget) or Quicken (also check out personal finance tools such as Mint and Wesabe — they’re FREE!), the method that is most comfortable for you is the right method. Be sure to include:
    • Net income
    • Savings and investments — This is the first subtraction from your net income because, cliched as it may be, you really do need to pay yourself first.
    • Non-discretionary expenses — Necessities such as mortgage/rent, food, utilities, debt repayment, and the like. Don’t forget about those irregular expenses, too.
    • Discretionary items – Non-necessities such as dining out, entertainment, pocket money, etc.

Remember, you don’t have to give up everything that you want just because you’re trying to save money. Much like going on an extreme diet will eventually lead to a fried food and candy binge (mmmm… chocolate), trying to live by an overly restrictive budget will eventually lead to overspending and a shopping binge (mmmm… shoes). Keep your numbers as realistic as possible.

5. Now do the math.
  6. Subtract your anticipated expenses from your net income.
  7. Do you have a positive number at the bottom of the page? Woo hoo! Add that leftover number to either the savings/investment or debt repayment categories.
  8. Got a negative number at the bottom of the page instead? Don’t freak out. Have you been too generous with yourself on the grocery budget, or in any of the discretionary categories? Is there something that you’ve been categorizing as a necessity that really isn’t? Tweak the numbers, as needed, to correct these issues.
  9. Review your budget. If you’re still seeing red, it may be the case that you’re finding it hard to live below your means. If you’re not earning enough to cover your necessities, then you’re going to need to get tough with yourself. Cut out anything that isn’t necessary to survival: cable or satellite television, Internet access, smoking (or other vices), eating out, etc. You may need to consider a career change to increase your salary or take an additional job for the extra income. You may also need to swallow your pride and seek help from family, friends or a local aid agency, especially if your situation places you or your family’s health and/or safety in jeopardy.
  10. Take your budget seriously. Once you’ve got a working budget, treat it like a living, breathing member of your family. Pay attention to it regularly to make sure that it still paints an accurate picture of your lifestyle. Tweak the numbers as necessary. For instance, you may want to budget more toward groceries during the holidays, but find that you can afford to trim entertainment expenses since you’ll be spending more time at home with family. Watch out for upward creeping numbers as well, as these can often indicate that an old habit, like swinging through the drive-thru for breakfast a couple of times per week, may be sneaking back in.

Above all else, don’t beat yourself up if your spending isn’t budget-model perfect every month. Expenses happen, and the purpose of the budget is not only to keep you on track with your saving or debt elimination goals, but also to help you weather the unexpected.

MeganGallagher
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Quoting meam4444:

She also told me this:

Better than coupons is My Harvest America they have all of your baby, household, hygiene, and non perishable items with the low price guarantee. (see the forum about this here in our group.)

Here is my favorite on saving money:
www.hillbillyhousewife.com

1. Changed to energy saver light bulbs

2. Never use dishwasher except on sick days. I hand wash dishes

3. Wash clothes in cold water.
4. Unplug VCRs, microwave, cellphone chargers, etc. when not in use. Anything plugged in drains electricity regardless if it is in use or not.

5. Make your own laundry detergent (recipe to follow)

6. Make your own baby wipes (recipe to follow)

SugaMomma87
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Quoting MeganGallagher:

Quoting SugaMomma87:

Ahh thanks Sugamomma! What would I do w/out you? lol Costco is such a good idea, why did i not think of that????

Its the Jam Man.lol I love it.  We want to get a car seat from there that is normally 150 anywhere else but less than 100 there.  It goes all the way from newborn to 70lbs!!!  and is cute with teddybears.lol  Yeah we are trying to get a head.  Are you have a Baby Shower?  If so ask for diapers, wipes and wally world gift cards.  Also ask for all sizes for everything.  It will help out so much!!!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM

wow.  she must be some money saver.  :) 

Quoting MeganGallagher:

Quoting meam4444:

She also told me this:

Better than coupons is My Harvest America they have all of your baby, household, hygiene, and non perishable items with the low price guarantee. (see the forum about this here in our group.)

Here is my favorite on saving money:
www.hillbillyhousewife.com

1. Changed to energy saver light bulbs

2. Never use dishwasher except on sick days. I hand wash dishes

3. Wash clothes in cold water.
4. Unplug VCRs, microwave, cellphone chargers, etc. when not in use. Anything plugged in drains electricity regardless if it is in use or not.

5. Make your own laundry detergent (recipe to follow)

6. Make your own baby wipes (recipe to follow)

housefullofkidz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Look's like you already have some great ideas. I will keep trying to think of some for you.

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)