Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Epidural or Not??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am only 10 weeks along, but already worried about the epidural.  I know that there can be serious side affects to the baby, as well as an increase chance of a C-section.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about this???

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stephNcary
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM

when i was pregnant with my first the lady that did my mini birthing class told me to wait out the contraction then ask myself if i thought i could handle it....I didnt want one but asked for one then when the contraction was over...things didnt seem as bad...in the long run i never got one but that was mainly because by the time the anesthesiologist got there i was already fully dilated. you just have to remember to try and relax so your body can do its thing, that way you can progress faster and maybe you wont need one after all....either way good luck mama.

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

our newest addition coming soon:

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I was dead-set against it.  I went into labor at 6am, went to the hospital at 11am.  They started adding pitocin at 1230pm.  They had to try that twice, because DS heart rate kept going down.  I honestly didn't know if I would make it the whole time without an ep.  However, I didn't have to worry, since the pitocin failed twice, they scheduled me a c-section and I had to get the spinal block.  I was scared out of my mind, but it wasn't so bad.  Just do what you want or think is best and make sure the doc knows for sure what he/she is doing.  I would have had to have a c-section with or without having had the epidural, so I don't know about that one.  Good luck!

Alaina83
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I had one with my first son but they gave it too me too late so it didn't even take effect until after he was out. My second labor was easier and I did not feel I needed it, and I won't be getting it this time either I'm doing lots of research into natural methods to ease the pain, like using a birthing ball and laboring in the water. Both my SIL had one though and it did slow down thier labors allot but they both are glad they got it because they were able to sleep through labor (I wish) and thier babies were just fine. You have lots of time so I would suggest do the reserch and decide what is best for you and your baby. Also keep in mind that in the heat of the moment you may change your mind and that's okay too.

heavensdaughter
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

For me, I had 3 natural births and had epidurals for all 3.  2 of the epidurals didn't go well, and the last one was miserable.  It was by far the worst part of labor.  I am nervous to do it without since I never have.....  But I will absolutely be going without this time. 

Destiny1403
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Its all personal opinion I think. Unfortunately there is a lot of scary information out there regarding Epis. Scared me shitless when I was pregnant with my first. I ended up getting one and it was great. Didnt even hurt to get it and no side effects or anything. Unforutantely mine wore off at 8 cm, but I was in heaven before that. My son also came out with a near perfect APGAR score. I am planning on getting another epi this time around, but waiting the contractions out so I dont get it too soon adn then it wears off. LOL

LaceyN1121
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I have signed up for it as a back up... I won't ask for it unless the pain is just too unbearable... I say follow your instincts, if you have a low level for pain tolerance then I would sign up for it just in case you actually need it, now if you have to pay for it and you don't get it you are refunded that money once the baby is born.

If you are concerned about the side effects look into alternative birthing techniques for pain like breathing methods (I think bradleys method i could be wrong) or google alternative pain relief during labor.

pregnancy calendar
MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I think this isn't something you should decide before you go into labor. Think about it, sure. But, don't make a definite decision. I think the best way to look at it is to try without an epidural, but know that it's there if you need it.

Some women can handle the pain, some can't. Sometimes the epidural will have a negative effect, most times, it won't.

My epidural experience was a good one. I tried without the epidural, but at some point, it became too much, and I got one. My legs felt heavy, but I could still move them. Afterwards, there were no side effects. As soon as I was cleaned, I was able to get up and walk. My baby was born wide awake and alert. For about a week, I had pain at the epidural site, but I haven 't had any pain since. After my son was born, I was told it was a good thing I had chosen to have an epidural. Apparently, my body wasn't able to relax enough for the baby to move down. Once I got the epidural, he came down quickly. If I hadn't gotten the epidural, they said there was a good chance I would have had a c-section because of it. And no, the epidural wasn't forced on me...it wasn't even offered to me until I asked for it.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

i  guess ive never gotten one, but mainly out of my fear of needles.  but ive known many people who have had successful vaginal deliveries with epidurals.  there is a proven increase risk for c-section with epidurals as they can slow down labor (however, there are drugs to increase contractions too).  i guess if you get an epidural ive always been recommended to do it when you are farther along so your body has a head start on labor and gets the ball rolling.

Mariac21
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I have alwasy heard good experiences and negative experiences when it comes to epidureal, pitocin etc.  Its almost like a shot in the dark.

In my experience, i was doing good withouth it for the first 8 hours after my water broke, but then I was not going no where and the pain/anxiety become to much and i ask for the epidureal.  It was good until i noted that only my right side was getting it not my left. So I had to flip sides so the medication would work if not i will feel everything on my left side and nothing on my right. Also my right side got completely numb and i did not like that at all!!!. I am seriously thinking i will do my best to go without it at all this time.

CafeMom Tickers
Mom2Bria
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I honestly didn't think my contractions were that bad.......I did whimp out and got something to take the edge off so that I could rest a second...By the time I was ready to push the meds wore off so I felt everything again.......For this one I am thinking of not getting any meds! Wait it out and you might be surprised that you can handle labor!  

breastfeedingbaby girlin loveexpecting baby~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)