Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you come across the name you chose for baby?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM
  • 26 Replies
How did you come across the name you chose for baby? (Did you find it in a baby book or online? Was baby named after someone in your family? Or did you discover the name some other way?)

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ConNZacksMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Well for my 1st "Conner Bradley"- "Conner" was my 8th grade boyfriend's brother's name,it was the very first time I heard it & I LOVED it,I swore if I ever had a son I would name him that,and for the name "Bradley" thats my husband/his dad's middle name!

My 2nd son "Zackary Chase"- The name "Zackary" is a family name & "Chase" is just a name we liked alot!

Misery_Stitches
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM

My sons name is going to be Dakota Te Ao Turoa

I am an early childhood teacher so come across many many names. Some that I have always liked get ruined by "certain children" I have met and dealt with over the years lol

But when I was in highschool, I did work experience at an early childhood centre. There was this little baby boy about 9 mths old and he was GORGEOUS and sooo sweet and such a good baby. His name was Dakota. I loved his name instantly and have never met another Dakota ever since so the name was never ruined lol

I am also into the gothicy sort of scene so we wanted Raven as a middle name regadless if baby was a boy or girl... so it was that for quite some time, but a few weeks ago, I woke up and decided I didnt like it anymore.

It took about a week or so to replace the name as I wanted to go a different route... something cultural. I am part Maori, Samoan and NZ European, and my partner is Dutch and NZ European... so I wanted SOMETHING from one of those cultures. I came accross the words "Te Ao Turoa" which means "the world of light/world of nature" in Maori and fell in love with that.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

pregnancy calendar
veganimal
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

We found our daughter's name on a baby name website and we liked it and the meaning was pretty. Her name is Orianna, its supposed to be spelled Oriana but we liked adding the extra n. it means golden or dawn. Her middle name is Rose after my middle name.

jasminefleur
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Well, it was the first time the hubby brought up the name discussion ('cause I hadn't- I was waiting for him to do it!). I had just finished giving him the run-down of all my "rules" for the baby's name, one of which was "no 'O' names" (you know, Owen, Oliver, Oscar etc... No offense to those of you who have used them, I just didn't care for them and the letter O was a no-no)

So I pulled up my online list on babynames.com that was always totally private. I had started it a LONG time before even becoming pregnant, but hadn't told anyone about it. And I only had like four names for each gender. So I pulled up this list for him and said "this is what you have to choose from"

The girl name wasn't up for discussion, but for the boy name he read them all and didn't really like any of them. I was just going to complain when he read one more...that I totally didn't remember putting on there in the first place: Orion Matthew. He loved it. And I was like- Where'd that come from!?! I STILL don't remember how it got onto my private name list, but it stuck, and that's what baby will be :)

CafeMom Tickers
mommyhonu
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

He is going to be named after my Auntie-Mom & Uncle-Dad who raised me and his middle name is a combo of DH's parents name. 

CafeMom Tickers
callalily417
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I used to read a bunch of those 'romantic comedy' kind of books. A lot of the male characters had that name and I loved it. So that's what we are using. Plus we watch sports and our second baseman is named Chase.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Arnamentia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM

My parents met ice-climbing, so my brother and I were raised climbing, camping, backpacking, etc. We've been going to a high-Sierra camp in Yosemite National Park every year since I was born during the summer, and there's a beautiful lake there. It's named after the last indian chief of the area, Tenaya. Ever since I was little I always said I was gonna name my daughter Tenaya, and DH was nice enough to agree. Her middle name, Faye, is her still living great-great grandmothers name. 5 generations and still going strong!

In the spirit of DD1s name, we kinda wanted to stick with Native American. We came across Topanga, which is Shoshone Indian for "where the mountain meets the sea" and which is what my family is as well. It went will with DD1s name, and we used Lyn as a middle cause it's my middle name, and I was named after my favorite auntie.

Who knows what well come up with next lol!

lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

aubrees_mommie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I love Desperate housewives and I call my oldest Bree short for Aubree so I figured why not keep up with the dhw theme and I love Gabrielle on the show so I choose to name her that plus my friend took my baby name so I took hers lol but its mostly a dhw thing I joke with my sh all the time that I want 2 more after Gabrielle and name then Susan and Lynett just so I have all the originals

mzmeli89
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I honestly never thought of the name, Sophie until I watched the movie Mama Mia with Meryl Streep....it grew on me the more and more I watched the movie and I fell in love with it!

CafeMom Tickers
Hrivera5
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

When we found out we were pregnant with my son we started looking in books.  It was so overwelming! We had no idea where to start.  So, one day while he was at work I came up with that any BOYS we had would start with an "E" because my husband's name starts with an "E" and any GIRLS we had would start with an "H" because of my name.

that helped narrow it down a bunch!

So, my husband found Ethan in the baby book and I was so glad that he liked something that I liked also!  (his first couple of picks were HORRIBLE).  So, we got Ethan from a baby book...I had no idea that it was the #2 baby name that year....oh well.

His middle name is Roswell, because that is where my husband and I met.

My daughter needed an "H" name. it was going to be Hannah...but again, it was super popular, and I didn't want to have 2 babies with the most popular name!  So, I liked Harmony and it wasn't on any of the lists!  So that is her name! 

Her middle name is December because my husband and I were married in December.  She also ended up being born in December because she came early...so people will probably think that THAT is why its her middle name..but no...that was what it was going to be when she was due Jan 16th. GRRRRRR 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)