Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My pregnant friend stole my baby name....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM
  • 21 Replies

When I found out that I was pregnant, I joyfully told a friend of mine who was 6 weeks ahead of me! I felt I could definitely trust her not to take the names I had chosen... And yes I had them chosen out already.

Later on we talked about names and she excitedly told me "We decided on a name!" and told me MY CHOSEN BOY NAME.
Ugh! And this is a more unusual biblical name that isn't on any top 200 or top 1000 baby name list. Obviously I'm not going to share it here.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't react. I was like "oh..... that was... my name... I hope I don't have a boy now.."

Later she found out that she is having a girl which was a relief to me HOWEVER she is still going to someday use the name, she said, if she has a boy. She also had the nerve to tell me, "I'll look like I copied off of you though if you have a boy."

Heh.

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housefullofkidz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM

WOW!  I am sorry, that is cruddy that she doesn't even recognize that she " stole" it off you in the 1st place. At least she isn't having a boy this time.

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

what a friend!  esp to say that it will looked like she copied you!?!!!!  ugh...seriously doesnt she have major pregnancy brain or what to forget you were the one with that name.  im sorry she did that!  :(

Mena929
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Do you know if you are having a boy? If you are, I would go ahead and go with the name you chose.

marriedmomma3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Well use your name if you are having a boy.  Don't worry about her, and dont trust her

pregnancy

baby

babies
mommyhonu
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

That happened to me with my first born. My Step mom took the first name DH and I picked out and then my Cousin stole my 2nd name that we picked out. So after that I refuse to tell anyone in my family or friends that are expecting. I already have the name picked out for this lil guy. 

If you want use the name you like best, it's not your fault she stole your baby name from you. But that's just my opinion. Good Luck to you Mommy! 

CafeMom Tickers
desertwannab
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I know how you feel!  My 10 year BFF named her daughter the EXACT name first and middle of what my girl would be... except she flipped them.  She said she didn't think it was a big deal because I was having a boy... but I explained to her that I could have still used it one day!  NOT ANYMORE!!! 

babyphatlady23
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I tell our parents & grandmas thats it! Because I'm afraid of the same thing. I also choose unique names that are dear to us.

samanthabird
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Quote:

I know how you feel!  My 10 year BFF named her daughter the EXACT name first and middle of what my girl would be... except she flipped them.  She said she didn't think it was a big deal because I was having a boy... but I explained to her that I could have still used it one day!  NOT ANYMORE!!
Wow. That is impressive. Both names... and it IS a big deal when you feel someone took something from you.

Pregnancy Ticker

Gecko85
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I can view this from the other perspective. We wanted to name our daughter Zoe (we changed our minds on that, but that was our original choice) and when I told one of my best friends (who isn't even pregnant) she got really upset and was like, "that is my next daughter's name, you can't have it." I was like WTF. I didn't know you had a patent. She isn't even pregnant. I wound up not picking it and she thinks it was because of her even though that is not the reason.

And if I had chosen it I disagree with some of you ladies. She could have still used it. It is not like names are so unique that she will never know anyone with her name ever. In high school I knew two girls named Stephanie and they were best friends.

pregnancy

samanthabird
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Quote:

I can view this from the other perspective. We wanted to name our daughter Zoe (we changed our minds on that, but that was our original choice) and when I told one of my best friends (who isn't even pregnant) she got really upset and was like, "that is my next daughter's name, you can't have it." I was like WTF. I didn't know you had a patent. She isn't even pregnant. I wound up not picking it and she thinks it was because of her even though that is not the reason.

But when I initally told my friend, she said she liked the name I chose. Only LATER did she excitedly tell me that it was now her chosen name. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)