Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Talc vs Cornstarch baby powder

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM
  • 11 Replies

What is the difference between talc baby powder and cornstarch baby powder? I had another mommy freak out at me when I went to Wal-Mart today and she was telling me how I was a horrible mommy for using talc baby powder. I dropped my items in the middle of the isle and walked away. I mean I know that some people can get very opinionated when it comes to force feeding info to pregnant mommies  and such but the way she acted it was just to much for me to handle. So who is using cornstarch baby powder and who is using talc baby powder? And why?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM

i havent really used any baby powder.  i cant believe that women would do something like that too.  some ppl...  if my baby's butt is a little sore, ill put a little cornstarch on it if im out of diaper creme, but that is all i know about those two. 

Brandyns87
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I think talc can be harmful to a young baby. I'm not sure though. I think I remember reading that somewhere.

"You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on." - Tupac Shakur

dottieanna29
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Talc can be very harmful if its inhaled because it is actually a mineral (although a very soft one).  It can cause damage to the lungs from even a small amount.

Most baby powders now are corn starch - its much less harmful and has the same benefits for keeping babies clean and dry.

Neither is completely necessary although my pediatrician does recommend putting corn starch powder on a diaper rash that is too sore and painful to rub in a cream.  It doesn't protect the way the cream does but it helps heal the rash quicker by drying the area.

Dorothy - Mommy to Stef, George jr and Vicki
my new blog:  www.dottiesuniverse.blogspot.com

grapejelly
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

good to know.. I never knew there was a difference

CafeMom Tickers

Misery_Stitches
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Talc powder is full of chemicals etc... and there have also been studies it can contribute to the cause of cervical/uterine cancers however I dont know how true those are (read various articles about this probably about 8 years ago). .. but from what I have read some of the ingredients are related to asbestos.

Cornstarch powder you buy in baby isles at the mall however can still have chemicals etc added for things such as fragrence... however less chemicals than Talc powder... so over all safer than talc

My daughter was allergic to 99.9% of baby products so someone told me to buy a box of cornstarch powder from the cooking isle... so it is 100% cornstarch with nothing added... and it worked wonders!!!

I am going to be doing the same for this baby. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

pregnancy calendar
Randi02
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Talc is awful. It's directly linked to all sorts of cancers, especially female ones.

Corn starch is safe, but if your baby has a yeast infection (or thrush) it will make it worse.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

ready_for2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM

talc is very dangerous!!!!!!!!!

housefullofkidz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I don't know the difference between the two. I do know my ped. suggests using cornstarch

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I've never used baby powder because it can easily get inhaled, both the regular kind and talc kind are bad for the lungs. Cornstarch is definitely a better choice though since talc has been linked to cancers.  I've actually never even had a time where I thought to use baby powder. I didn't realize people still used it at all, other than my grandma after her baths. ;-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
CheyanneW
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I didn't think they even sold talc anymore.  Not for babies anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN