Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I do a partial water birth?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

I want to be in the tub during contractions because I hear that it soothes the pain. I was also wondering if doctors let you stand up to give birth? I was reading a few things and it said the easiest way for the baby to come out is to stand up because of the normal gravity or something like that. I don't want to tear so I might stand up.

Do the doctors let you get in the tub in the rooms? I really hope so because I want to get through the contractions without having to have an epidural.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM

every doc is different based off of what they will let you do.  i know my SIL at the hosp she delivered at, the doc didnt want her delivering on all fours, but she insisted and did it.  the doc wasnt too happy as she wanted my SIL on her back.  however, where i deliver, they will let me do pretty much whatever i want to do.  so every hospital and doc/midwife are different.  so you may just want to talk to your doc about what they will let you do in labor.  good luck!

Megara
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:59 PM

What you are describing would definitely be possible in a homebirth or at an out-of-hospital birth center.  I have never given birth in a hospital, so I really don't know how accomodating they are.

penguinbabe44
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Quoting meam4444:

every doc is different based off of what they will let you do.  i know my SIL at the hosp she delivered at, the doc didnt want her delivering on all fours, but she insisted and did it.  the doc wasnt too happy as she wanted my SIL on her back.  however, where i deliver, they will let me do pretty much whatever i want to do.  so every hospital and doc/midwife are different.  so you may just want to talk to your doc about what they will let you do in labor.  good luck!

That's what I'm scared of that my doctor will try to control everything. If there is no risk in doing it I want to be able to do what I feel comfortable with the most. I don't want to always have the standard lay down thing because it drops baby heart rate and I just don't want that unless I get lazy and want to lay down. One doctor had said to a woman to stop being a baby, quit crying and to suck it up. If I was her I would have slapped him and sent him out. If the doctor is rude do you get to ask for aother one?

CafeMom Tickers
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:05 PM

yep so you will have to chat iwith your doc about what they will let you do.  and i always went through with stuff when i called in when i was in labor with my midwife telling her how i wanted to birth when in the hospital and such...so there was no surprises and she could prepare to be the most accomodating.  yes, you have every right to ask for another doctor.  however, if you are near the end of laboring and such they may not be able to get a different doctor to you.  there are always other doctors who are backups to the on-call ones. 

i would recommend you writing a list of everything you want to know about laboring from your doc and the hospital...and then the next office appt you have bring it in and go through it with them.  that is what i did with my first kid.  then there are no surprises.

Quoting penguinbabe44:

Quoting meam4444:

That's what I'm scared of that my doctor will try to control everything. If there is no risk in doing it I want to be able to do what I feel comfortable with the most. I don't want to always have the standard lay down thing because it drops baby heart rate and I just don't want that unless I get lazy and want to lay down. One doctor had said to a woman to stop being a baby, quit crying and to suck it up. If I was her I would have slapped him and sent him out. If the doctor is rude do you get to ask for aother one?

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM

what a rude doc to say something like that to a laboring woman!!!  i hope you dont end up having to deal with a doc like that!

MarigoldsMama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM

My hospital has whirlpool tubs in the labor room for contractions / labor, but they don't do water-births where you actually deliver in the tub.

I was able to deliver in a supported squat position -- not being flat on your back does make a difference. I found that my hospital was very supportive of natural childbirth. I delivered both of my daughters without drugs / intervention.

CafeMom Tickers
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:22 PM

The hospital i'll be delivering at has beds, lets you birth in whatever position you like, and they have birthing pools. You can labor and deliver in the water if you wish, and that's what I plan on doing. There are only three OB's at that hospital, the rest are midwives. Having a midwife-run facility seems to be easier for the birthing mother and you have less chances of intervention or c-section. Have you looked into Birthing Centers?

CafeMom Tickers

Due in July 2010? Join us here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108462

penguinbabe44
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

The hospital i'll be delivering at has beds, lets you birth in whatever position you like, and they have birthing pools. You can labor and deliver in the water if you wish, and that's what I plan on doing. There are only three OB's at that hospital, the rest are midwives. Having a midwife-run facility seems to be easier for the birthing mother and you have less chances of intervention or c-section. Have you looked into Birthing Centers?

No, I haven't looked into any birthing centers. I don't think I can afford it for this pregnancy but maybe on my next one I will do a home-birth or at birthing center. I wish I could do a home-birth right now but don't have the money too and I think it's too late for one.

CafeMom Tickers
sissychristi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Have you looked into what your insurance will cover? Many insurance companies cover the cost of a midwife at a birth center. If so, it is never too late to make the switch.

At the hospital where I am, they claim that they support natural birthing techniques but there always seem to be "special circumstances" that come up during every single labor where mom ends up not being allowed to use the tub and winds up pushing on her back.

I am birthing in a birth center and am encouraged to let my body guide me and tell them what I want so the midwives can assist me the way I want to be assisted. I can get in and out of the tub as much as I want, get into any position I want, and birth in the tub if I want.

Quoting penguinbabe44:

Quoting Pandapanda:

No, I haven't looked into any birthing centers. I don't think I can afford it for this pregnancy but maybe on my next one I will do a home-birth or at birthing center. I wish I could do a home-birth right now but don't have the money too and I think it's too late for one.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)