• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

While I'm waiting on the call....OT

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

I called the on-call docotor for my 6month old son. He has a temp of 102.3. I gave him tylenol already. He is now sleeping like her normally does right now. While he was up he was just a little extra fussy and didnt seem to want to eat to much....just go back to sleep. He has been on baby food for about a month now. His stool is more formed now so it seems he is going less and less often. Could he be constipated...is a fever sometimes attached to constipation? I dont THINK that he is....but any other ideas or suggestions while i wait? I thought that maybe this fever was to high and he may need to go to the ER.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NorwegianMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM

At 6 months old it could be teething, but 102 is a bit high for teething. It could also be an ear infection. Not all kids do the whole ear tugging thing. You don't really need to go to the ER until the fever reaches 104+. There are a lot of run of the mill infections of various sorts that are going around as well. Also, if the baby just will not settle down and stop crying for like an hour in combination with fever, then that is also grounds for a quick care/ER visit usually. Just play it by ear and see what the on call doctor says. Keep pushing liquids on him so he doesn't get dehydrated. Liquid is more important than food at this point.

twest06
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Quoting NorwegianMommy:

At 6 months old it could be teething, but 102 is a bit high for teething. It could also be an ear infection. Not all kids do the whole ear tugging thing. You don't really need to go to the ER until the fever reaches 104+. There are a lot of run of the mill infections of various sorts that are going around as well. Also, if the baby just will not settle down and stop crying for like an hour in combination with fever, then that is also grounds for a quick care/ER visit usually. Just play it by ear and see what the on call doctor says. Keep pushing liquids on him so he doesn't get dehydrated. Liquid is more important than food at this point.

Thank you very much! Its been about an hour and still no call from them! Like i said he is sound asleep right now so hopefully the tylenol will break the fever.

mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

i wouldn't worry with a fever like that...over the weekend my dd (21months old) had a fever of 103.1 and it  kept going up and and she had it all weekend and today she woke up with no fever. I even called her peds because she has had a febrile seizure before (when she was 13months) and he basically said 103.1 is not high enough to go to the hospital even though she was complaining and saying her body hurt and was whinny. And sure enough he was right.. I just kept tylenol in her all weekend and she was good to go. she also refused to eat and really drink much

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:59 AM

oh your poor baby!  keep checking the temperature to see if it rises esp when they sleep. i  hope the tylenol works well.  i dont think the constipation is tied to making him have a fever...but it wouldnt doubt me that the fever is making him constipating by using liquids elswhere maybe to fight off infection.  i hope your LO get better!!!  ive been told before that if temperature rises above 103 and you can get it down right away...that is when to esp bring them into the ER or Urgent Care. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)