Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bye bye ice chips

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

Looks like they're finally letting us have some drinks during labor:

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr08-21-09-2.cfm

I got sooo tired of the ice chips - in the end I was hoarding them asking for several glasses at once so they would melt over time and I could get a real drink of water now and then.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wishing2BMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM

my little sister was in labor for about 18 hours... she got sierra mist and cherry popsicles

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Chrissy9479
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM

oh yeah! they let me drink 8oz once an hour! it was great, they even told me i could have jello or a popsicle if i wanted one :) it was great! i mean it wasn't much but it was better than ice chips! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Misery_Stitches
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM

LOL

In my country they have been encouraging food and drink intake during labour for YEARS. I mean I had my daughter 8 years ago now and I remember them telling us at the birthing classes to make sure we eat and drink to have enough energy to last through the labour. I mean not full hard out meals but definately light snacks and plenty of water.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

pregnancy calendar
sissychristi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Exactly. I get to bring juice and snacks with me to the birth center. Studies find that women who eat during early first stage labor have more energy and have the endurance necessary to get through labor without becoming too exhausted.

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

LOL

In my country they have been encouraging food and drink intake during labour for YEARS. I mean I had my daughter 8 years ago now and I remember them telling us at the birthing classes to make sure we eat and drink to have enough energy to last through the labour. I mean not full hard out meals but definately light snacks and plenty of water.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

drakesmom2007
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM

i think ill eat before i go in  when i was in labor with my son i hadnt had anything to eat for over 24 hours and was so weak  if they let me have something other then ice chips i will be so happy

VJennyLynnS
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I made my husband stop and get me some food on the way to the hospital while I was in labor with my second because 1. i was starving and 2. i knew they weren't going to let me eat or drink anything. I had been sitting in the hospital all day that day while my cusins girlfriend was in labor and about half way thru her labor i went into labor but i wanted to see my nephew when he was born so i didn't leave and hospital food is gross lol. my nephew was born at 1:11am and i saw him for like 5 minutes before i couldn't take the pain any longer and went to the next town over to have my baby and i delivered her at 6:16 am. on the same day. it was amazing.

housefullofkidz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I actually love the ice chips!!

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

Mom2girls0708
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:27 PM

With my daughter I was given liquid food so I ate and ate jello and ice pops.  But when they stopped trying to induce me at night I was able to eat real food.  Ended up having a c section after 3 days of inducing.

excougarmama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I completely refuse to follow the "no drink/food" rules. I wait for the induction (pre-e) to start THEN eat. No history of complications in delivery, no reason to believe I will have to have a c-section and if I happen to poop.........so be it. I am a good pusher lol.

Join me in this group! Learn about finances, offer support and advice! http://www.cafemom.com/group/108534/

Do you really want to call someone out? Tell them what you really think? Do you want to be able to SAY ANYTHING? Well "put on your big girl panties" is the forum for you! We don't delete. We cuss.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/104777

MarigoldsMama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Huh... my hospital had no issues with me eating or drinking with either of my deliveries. I brought my own snacks and drinks...It was in my Birth Plan & no one even mentioned it...Wasn't really aware that it was an issue for some??

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)