Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not a good day :( Really worried *** UPDATE IN RED!!! 2/03/2010**

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM
  • 17 Replies

 

 So..for all of you who dont know my story, My sister is 4 1/2 months pregnant.. i am a little over 2 months.. my sister found out at the end of december she is a carrier for cystic fibrosis (luckily her SO is not, so the baby is not at any risk).. My test came back today.. I am also a carrier.. I am so scared and worried.. DH went and had his blood work done today and now we just have to wait and see.. Its so hard to not cry and worry and i know those are 2 of the worst things i can do right now for myself and my baby. Just please , please, if you pray, say a little prayer for us and our little bean.

I also have another question for you ladies.. i am getting weird twinges/almost painful in my lower stomach/upper groin area... i am only a little over 8 weeks.. is this normal or something i should worry about? have any of you ever had this before? They arent really painful just annoying .. and not constant .. they only last a little bit then go away.. i def. feel them more in my groin then in my stomach.

 UPDATE!!! MY DH IS NEGATIVE!!! THERE IS A 0% CHANCE OF OUR BABY HAVING CYSTIC FIBROSIS!! WOO HOO!!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housefullofkidz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:31 PM

 Just relax and think positive.  I hope everything comes back that you will have no worries.

As far as the twinges, those could be round ligament pain. Very  normal :-)

 There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

Beautifulnewmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:10 PM

first of all congrats! second just relax and try not to worry about it til u get his results back. u need to keep that sweet baby safe! 

as for the pain i had that all it was was round ligament pain very common!

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM

First of all, try to relax. I know it is very stressful but keep in mind that the chances of both you and your DH being carriers of CF is so unlikely. Even if your DH is a carrier, your baby only has a 25% chance of having CF. He/she is more likely to just be a carrier like you. And while CF is obviously not something that anybody wants their child to have, treatments have come such a LONG way from even back when we were kids. Most people with CF can live easily into their 40-50's, and just think of how much will change by the time your child would reach that age. By then it will probably be curable with all the new research! Just keep a positive outlook, and try not to stress about it right now. You just have to wait and see what happens. I have been there myself, and I know it is scary, but worrying about it won't help at all.

As for your discomfort, that can easily be stress, or round ligament pain, or just your average pregnancy cramps. I got a lot of uncomfortable twinges in the beginning but everything was fine. Try to relax mama!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker
UMiamiChick5683
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:21 AM

 First of all, I hope all goes well and you get answers soon. I too just found out about a week ago that I am a CF carrier. I totally freaked out and pretty much cried all day. But as the day went on I tried to calm myself and think logically. Like the previous person said, if only you are a carrier, you're good. If you both happen to be carriers, you have a 25% chance of the baby having no problems, a 50% chance of it being a carrier, and a 25% chance of the baby actually having CF. My DH just had blood work done, but at our primary care dr. the insurance doesn't cover genetic panels and he would have to go to another lab and possibly pay $800. So unfortunately we still don't know but we go to the OB Thursday and I'm praying they'll test him so we can get an answer. It's another one of those things that we women have to worry about, but after doing some research, there is a large portion of the population that is a carrier and doesn't even know it! No one in my family certainly did! The chances of there actually being an issue are probably pretty small, so I know this probably won't help much, but just try to relax. I guess I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone out there with this worry, but unfortunately there's not much we can really do about it but hope for the best! Best of luck and I hope you find out soon!! Keep us posted!! :-)

mommy2xp
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

we went through this with our oldest.  i was only 16, i was so scared.  i have a gene that they are not sure if it causes it or not, my dh has one that does for sure. out of three children, only our youngest has both genes.  so we are taking her at 1 month 6 months and 1 yr then yearly after that for testing.  since my gene may cause problems.  i have always looked at it as  something that will happen if it does.  i will learn everything i need to know about how to safely care for my child.  try not to worry, i know it's hard but try! we found out our dd had them both a week after she was born, in nebraska that is part of the newborn screening they do.  so make sure they test baby for it if you both have them. also find out what genes you have (we got sent to a genetics couselor so they could explain things and the odds and all that)  i have a book on cf that the cf dr gave us when we went and got her tested the first time. so if you have any questions on it pm and i can look it up for you. the best thing you can do is wait til you find out then if there's the possiblity educate urself as much as possible.  good luck!!

JHall
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Even if he is a carrier it doesn't mean that your baby will have it. My mom and dad are both carriers and neither me nor my little sister have it and we are not carriers for it either.  I hope that helps ease your mind  a little.  Just relax no worries! The pain is totally normal and like you said very annoying some days are bad and some are good but if I remember right it does go away after a little while.  I could be worng on that pregnancy brain LOL  Good luck and Congrats to you guys!!!

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM

try not to worry!  hugs!  i will say a prayer for you today.  also, those twinges sound like round ligament pain which is completely normal during pregnancy.

maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your nice words! I am doing better today and trying to just not worry so much.. I will let you know as soon as DH's test comes back.. I'm def. praying its a negative!!

Thanks again girls!!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

happy you are doing better today!! :)

Quoting maybebaby83:

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your nice words! I am doing better today and trying to just not worry so much.. I will let you know as soon as DH's test comes back.. I'm def. praying its a negative!!

Thanks again girls!!


maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM

dancing WOO HOO FOR MY UPDATE!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)