Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

clogged milk duct or infection?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

I breastfed my dd for a couple days before deciding that it wasent right for me. I stopped about a week ago and ive noticed the past couple of days that my breasts have been really sore and painful. I felt around and noticed that i have a lump in each breast in the same area but one is a little bit more worse then the other one. I called my doctors today to tell them and he didnt even ask to see me he just called me in a prescription of amox and ibprophen. They are really sore and everywhere i read it just says to nurse but im not nursing anymore. Even when i try to hand express nothing comes out so i think im dried up now. How do I help this infection if im not breastfeeding?

I already asked this question in the breastfeeding group but nobodys answering me.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
housefullofkidz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM

bump

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein  housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots 

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Have you tried using a warm compress prior to trying to express the milk? Warmth usually encourages milk flow.

If it is an infection, the amoxicillan should take care of it

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM

i would try taking a warm shower and see if that relieves any pain or any milk.  if you stopped cold turkey, some of the pain could be from your breasts filling up and then drying up.  good luck!

Megara
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:23 AM

If you don't have a fever, it's most likely a clogged duct and not yet an infection.  He probably gave you antibiotics anticipating that it's going to get infected.

The best thing for you to do is express the milk somehow.  Since you are not nursing, I recommend renting a hospital-grade breastpump.  Hand expressing is powerful enough to clear that clog.  Even though I was nursing, I had an infected duct that was so backed up that I had to rent a hospital-grade pump to clear it.  Call your hospital's women's center or maternity center and they should have what you need (I recommend a Medela Lactina or Symphony).  They will charge by the month but they should also be able to give you a weekly rate--you will probably need it for two weeks tops.  Then you need to pump pump pump.  Putting a warm compress on the lump and massaging the lump will help break it up.

Drink as much water as you can possibly stand, taking vitamin C, and if you can find it, there is a homeopathic blend called phytolacca that can help keep you from getting an infection and help cure one if you already have one.  The most important thing is to clear the duct so you don't get an infection.  Mastitis is horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)