Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Three hour glucose test...is it dangerous?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a three hour glucose test in the morning and I'm wondering is it dangerous to drink that extra sugary gross stuff for a second time? It makes my baby go wild and start kicking a lot and I wonder if they do this just to get money from all the bloodwork or is it really necessary? Also are you allowed to brush your teeth before the appointment because of the sugar in the toothpaste? It gets in your bloodstream right? How many hours are you actually supposed to diet? They told me don't eat after midnight tonight but I stopped eating a little after 7 so that I will be sure that I fasted long enough. I heard that it's supposed to be 12 hour fasting not 6-8 hours.

Any advice on what to do? I have to sit in the doctor's office all by myself for three hours or more. I'm really not looking forward to it at all.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sparklebug86
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I dont know if its dangerous but I thought I was going to pass out towards the end. Between all of th sugar and not being able to eat the morning of. I was so light headed and my body was starting to get tingley. My tests actually came out fine though....

Yes you can brush your teeth

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
MTATMA
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM

No it is not dangerous you must not have passed the one hour test so now you have to do the three hour test. This will help determine if you have gestational diabetes if you do  they can help you keep your sugar level so that way you will be healthy and your baby will also. Do not worry I have done both the 1 hour test and 3 hour test with my first and will also with this one.

Dolphins54559
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I had the same problem. I had an ultrasound already scheduled for the morning of the day of mine. So I had to wait till 1 to do the test. I didn't eat after midnight and I couldn't eat till like 4 pm, I was starving and so light headed and dizzy. I don't think they would want to risk having a lawsuit from a sugar test though, so I'm pretty sure it's safe.

Quoting sparklebug86:

I dont know if its dangerous but I thought I was going to pass out towards the end. Between all of th sugar and not being able to eat the morning of. I was so light headed and my body was starting to get tingley. My tests actually came out fine though....

Yes you can brush your teeth

pregnancy calendar

baby

baby growth

Eliza04
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Its not dangerous  that I have herd of. I have had to do it 2 out of 4 of my pregnancies because I didin't pass the 1 hour and both time turned out to be borderline diabetic. They need to know so that they can be ready to help baby if they come out with low sugar and monitor both you and baby if you do have GD. I found when had to take the 3 hour bring a book/laptop/gameboy something to keep you semi occupied while waiting helps to keep at least my mind of how hungery I was. Also obring a snack with you so as soon as your done you can eat. I have never heard brushing your teeth would raise your sugar, you will be just fine brushing your teeth. Your baby is kicking so much after you take the sugar drink most likely because of all the sugar he/she is getting huge energy boost. Sorry you have to take the tesr it sucks I know but don't stress it will be over and done with soon and then will know if need to do anthing extra to keep you and your baby happy and healthy.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I think it might be dangerous for your pregnant body to go that much longer without food...

;-)

I would eat up to the last moment!

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

Marah2008
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM

thats weird, my instructions were to eat as I normally would throughout the day, but not after I drank the glucose drink

mommyhonu
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I have taken the 3 hour glucose test. I had to fast for 8 hours, haven't heard about having to fast for 12 hours. If your blood sugar gets to low you can get shaky and or pass out. (That happened to a friend of mine.) When I did my test I had a snack at 11:30pm because by the time you are finished with the testing it be close to if not Noon.  I haven't heard anything about the test being unsafe for baby. I would think that it would be more unsafe for mom & unborn baby to go untested. I brushed my teeth before my testing began and even used mouth wash but was to make sure that I rinsed really well. Depending on the lab/Dr they may even limit the amount of water they want you to drink so not to affect the glucose solution. Good Luck Mommy.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN