Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Painting the nursery?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

We had to move some rooms around since we have a baby on the way. My stepdaughter is almost nine, so she is getting a more grown-up room downstairs in our house (her room at her mom's is downstairs too, and ours is a finished basement- it's NOT like shoving her in a corner at ALL) but the room totally required painting before we could move her down there.

I've been laid off since mid-October so I have time on my hands, but my husband works looong hours, and hates to paint...so I did it. And then I painted the baby-to-be's room, too. Sure I got some on me, but it washes off- it's not like I bathed in it, and it's not like I was eating it or anything, but everyone is harping on me because I "shouldn't be doing that". I know it's not the BEST thing to do, but somebody had to! And I'm pregnant, not an invalid. I'm perfectly capable!

My mom said she painted when she was pregnant with my sister- that was back in 1987- and if anything, my sister's the smart one between her, myself, and our brother. And she has no physical deformities, either.

I'm 26 weeks now, so everything our son will be born with is formed. I'm pretty sure the most succeptible time of this pregnancy was over with a few weeks before this. What do you think? Have any of you painted while pregnant? Know anyone who did? Any problems? I think everything is fine- I still feel him kick enough, and my blood tests last week came out good. Why is everyone getting on my case so hard???

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KaileezMom
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I painted while i was pregant with my daughter. I dont remember exactly how many weeks but i know i was at least mid second trimester. Also, we lived in a tiny mobile home at the time and it was late winter. So, we couldnt really crack windows or anything. She is a perfectly healthy 18 month old, and there were no complications in the pregnancy or birth. You are fine mama!! Tons of moms have done it. Part of nesting i say! :) You should take pics of it by the way. ;)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
beaugrl0824
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I've been there lol, we closed on our house when I was 34 weeks and it was a former rental property so we painted every room in the house and I did most of the more detailed work like baseboards and such. I was so big my belly touched the floor when i was on my hands and knees lol. As long as the ventelation was good I didn't see a problem with it.  We are switching rooms around with this baby and I will have to paint DD's new room and if this baby turns out to be a boy that room too.

cristina0709
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

When I was pregnant I was the only one (out of DF, me, and FIL) who gave a rats ass. so i got pissed and painted DS's room when no one else would help. I made sure to have the windows open so fresh airflow went through. i never got yelled at about it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Wanna read my birth story? Check out my profile!!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
jasminefleur
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Quoting KaileezMom:

I painted while i was pregant with my daughter. I dont remember exactly how many weeks but i know i was at least mid second trimester. Also, we lived in a tiny mobile home at the time and it was late winter. So, we couldnt really crack windows or anything. She is a perfectly healthy 18 month old, and there were no complications in the pregnancy or birth. You are fine mama!! Tons of moms have done it. Part of nesting i say! :) You should take pics of it by the way. ;)

Thank you! Yes, as it is winter and I live in Wisconsin, opening windows was not really an option. I did run the air purifier most of the time though (but not all...). And I think We're far enough along to not be AS worried. I'm sure a lot of people paint while pregnant! I did take pics of my stepdaughter's new room- lets see if I can get them to upload.

It worked! It really is a lot brighter in there than it looks- I couldn't wait for morning to get pics so I took then mhe night I finished. She just saw it tonight for the first time- she LOVED it! I said if she didn't, I'D move in there 'cause I loved it!

What is now green was ugly paneling- though I love the texture it gives- and what is yellow was plain white. I painted all the trim too- that was all dark wood (husband wouldn't let me paint the bed- but I painted all the shelves too). This used to be the junk room that we closed the door on all the random stuff!

CafeMom Tickers
KaileezMom
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM

AWWWW!!! I love it!! It looks great!!!! I can see why she loved it too. Im a bit jealous..LOL! Very good job! :)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
jeeniegurl03
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM

i just got done painting my girls room monday and i'm 25 weeks pregnant and i painted when i was pregnant with my other 2 too and they are fine! its not like it was back in the day when paint was made out of all this bad stuff sheesh! i wouldn't worry about what other people say :)

jasminefleur
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Thanks all. I wasn't really too worried, I'm just sick and tired of being scolded like a child for it! (it's mostly my MIL though. That should explain a lot.)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)