Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Nothin between the legs..." (kinda long...)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM
  • 9 Replies

I went for my 19 wks u/s on Thursday.  Boy was it a long one.  Baby did not want to cooperate at all and kept on covering everything they were trying to measure.  I thought it was acutally kinda cute to watch her cover her little eye then put her feet above her head when they tried to get measurements and so forth but then the u/s tech was doing some weird measurement and I asked her what it was and she said something like "I've only been here about a month and they like to see if they new techs can get certain kinds of measurements.  I'm measuring cord blood" (or something like that.)  But then I started wondering if she was having difficulties getting measurements because she was new.  Finally she could not get the 4 chamers of the heart, kidneys, or sex of the baby so she called in a senior tech.  Well the senior tech got the kidneys right away then tried for the sex.  Very quickly she said "well, from what I can see there's nothing between the legs..." She didn't really point anything out or say IT'S A GIRL like I had expected.  I asked her what percentage she'd say it was that it was a girl and she said she wasn't allowed to give a percentage but she got a good picture and "lets hope its a girl because like I said there's nothing there..."  she was trying to make a joke I guess but I didn't think it was very funny.  I didn't like the uncertainty.  I had been sooooo anxious for this exam to find out what I was having and it wasn't nearly like I had expected.  I didn't even get any good pictures because the first tech couldn't get a good profile pic.  I had another u/s around 12 weeks and got GREAT profile pictures out of it.  PLUS to top it off all signs point to a BOY (I dont care either way - i never had a preferance - as long as it's healthy, but I really want to start planning and refering to him or her by name)  I'm almost all belly. My skin that is normally broken out has cleared up massivly. Baby is very low. & the Chineese predictor said boy.  I know none of those are 100% accurate either but I still don't feel certain it's a girl. My fiance who talks to my belly every night before he goes to bed has already started calling her Lily so now I really hope it IS a girl!  Has anyone out there's u/s been wrong or has anyone gotten a similar reaction and the tech was definately right?!  I'm just looking for a little input and it's always so great to ask on here!!

*~*JuLeS*~*
Mommy to be 07/12/2010

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KendraCay
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I'm not sure. Saying nothing is there doesn't mean it's a girl. Sorry mama, you could pay for a 3d ultra sound,  just a thought.

(ps. you're due on my birthday!)

mommy2xp
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM

will you have another ultrasound? my techs always said it's a girl. (three times three different techs) and they always got me good pics.  you could ask for another one. 

JHall
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Hopefully they will give you another U/S in a month so you can get some answers.  How in the world can she say girl but nothings there I'm a little confused on that.  Talk to your Dr  and tell him you want another U/S so you can see if they can get it this time around this way if they find it in a month you will feel better about calling "it" ( as I like to say ) either a boy or a girl.  They should be able to get it right next time. These LO's like to hide it from us sometimes it's so cute

CheyanneW
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM

That happened to me with my second.  The tech said "I think it's a girl"  but was not certain at all.  I think she was new also.  So I just bought gender neutral stuff and she did end up being a girl.  I do know how you feel though according to all the "fun" home test and everything all signs were pointing to boy for this one but no she is a girl also.

miss_nevin
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I sorta had the same thing happen to me, and now they say there isnt space there, bla bla bla so now its even harder too see. started as a boy and now they say girl..  for me it was weird the ultrasound tech, messured the body and the weeks on the bottom went all over the place

jzimenova
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I've heard a couple different stories of this happening, and normally the people got a second u/s from the hospital or paid for a 3D one. A lot of 3D places have gender specials that you go in to find out the gender, so that is an option. Normally it is under $100 for them to do it

We are planning on naming our little girl Lily also =)

jenniferlee_12
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM

My midwife just told me that if they say boy they are usually always right. The reason I said this is because she asked if I knew what I was having and I told her a boy and I said it better be a boy since the u/s tech showed me the baby's testicles and penis!!

fishtankswimmer
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Talk to your OB.  I'm sure (if insurance pays for it) they will schedule you for another one.  Don't get down about it.  :)

MiSs.SmOkEy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I get an ultrasound every time I go in so my doctor says she is 100% sure its a girl so did the tech since her legs were spread wide open. lol. DD is really high tho I can feel her kicking me in the ribs where with DS I didn't feel anything in my ribs till he was head down.

Aden Jacob (4-20-2008)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)