Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goodies at the Hospital After Birth?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

Being a first timer, I do not know what to expect, or to bring with me to the hospital for labor and delivery. I've seen lots of people post about what the hospital will provide for you, and some things that you actually get to take home.

What kind of baby swag did the hospital give you to take home? Did you know ahead of time what you'd be provided with at the hospital, or did you bring your whole nursery, just in case. :)

Thanks!

Kristin

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM

They provided everything we'd need while there, but I like to take my own shampoo/conditioner, and of course more comfy clothes to wear, and socks. When we left, I was able to take the basins, any open package of diapers, wipes, open package of Always maxi pads, the baby wash, peri bottle, vaseline (for his circ), the nasal aspirator, and the pacifiers he used there. We also got a diaper bag with coupons and breastfeeding info in it. If you formula feed, they'll let you take whatever formula is left in your room/bassinet drawer when you're ready to go. Basically anything that goes to your room can't be used again, so it's yours.

Mamaz

i got 2 diaper bags. one filled with formula and one filled with breastfeeding stuff. tons of couplons, diapers wipes blankets clothes burp clothes,. you need to bring EVERYTHING you think you will need for the baby. consider the hospital stuff and extra

Mamaz

they provided NOTHING for the mother

Quoting Mamaz:

i got 2 diaper bags. one filled with formula and one filled with breastfeeding stuff. tons of couplons, diapers wipes blankets clothes burp clothes,. you need to bring EVERYTHING you think you will need for the baby. consider the hospital stuff and extra

jakesgal88

Our hospital gives a diaper bag loaded with free samples of things. Also any leftover diapers, wipes, and bottles you get to take home. The hospital also gave a soothie pacifier and a bag for me. I'm not sure on all hospitals, but i'm pretty sure all provide formula for when the baby is there along with diapers and stuff for their first bath. They also have long-sleeved shirts with hand covers if you dont want to use your own outfits right away... I think that was most of what they provide.

KristinJG
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Ddid you know ahead of time what would be available? Were you told when you took your tour or anything?

CafeMom Tickers
JHall
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM

My first did they gave us everything that was needed even the baby blanket that they used with our DD.  The second being that it was a different hospital didn't give that much stuff no baby blanket to take home as her first blankie we had to give it back.  No pads which was odd most don't take things like that with them to L&D cause they provide them but I was told even if the package is open they keep what is left when you leave so you'd better change that pad before you check out lol.  I think most do give you 2 diaper bags one with formula and one with a bunch of baby stuff like baby wash a few diapers things like that. The one thing I can say take with you incase is an extra pillow for you cause the ones they have are usually hard and not so comfy, some comfy undies cause those net things they make you put on are just weird and get bunched up, comfy clothes for you and DH, and a few things for baby a bring home outfit and a outfit for the first pic they take....I think they do that on the second day.  Most of the stuff is provided by the hospital most do mine doesn't so I have to remember to bring extra things.  They can give you a list of things to bring with you if you ask and I think on Parents.com there is a list of things also you can go through and pick what you think is needed. Totally make sure to bring your camera LOL  I ran off and forgot mine at home and had my mom stop by and get it for me. AHHHH  the things you forget when you are rushing out the door.

ohsowonderful
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM

If you take a tour of your hospital, they should give you info on suggested items to bring. The first hospital I delivered at only told me to bring things for my own comfort (my own pillow, something to wear after delivery and something to wear home, my shampoos and cosmetics), and all would be provided for the baby (we brought him an outfit to wear for pictures, a heavy blanket to go home under as it was a December ice storm). Don't forget your camera! We did. lol

I left with any open package of diapers, a very small cheap diaper bag with info and coupons in it-- also some samples of formula even though I was breastfeeding just in case.. Some tiny bottles if I remember right for the formula.. the nail file and the booger sucker thing...... and they send me home with my mesh hospital panties, the ice pack that fit in it(!!!), a peri bottle, Tucks pads, some super cool foam stuff that I'm assuming numbed my episiotomy, and the remaining open pack of the enormous boat-like pads they had me wearing.

orange4agua72
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM

MY FAV thing I get after delivery is a Vera Bradly diaper bag. They retail around $100 so it's an AWESOME gift from the hospital! 

(I know that doesn't totally answer your question, but I know every hospital is different, so I'd just call and ask!) 

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com

Lilypie Maternity tickers
la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I don't remember everything but it was a lot.

housefullofkidz
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM

This time around ... nothing!  They had budget cuts  and those fun things were the 1st to go. They would usually hand out 2 different diaper bags full of samples but they no longer do that because they have to pay to have them. They used to give a full pack of diapers but only gave you a ziplock baggie with some diapers in it  this time. They also used to give you a meal for your partner but stopped doing that as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)