Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all mom who have given birth in a military hospital? I have questions!!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM
  • 4 Replies

ok my first question is what was in like? I am a little scared. I have never given birth in a American hospital at all. My 1st DD was born in a German hospital 12 years ago and my 2nd in a birthing center 10 year ago. So I have no American hospital experience at all and have no choice because of gestational diabetes or I would again be at the birthing center wit a midwife!

Second, I was reading another post about what the hospital sent you home with, i.e. diapers, coupons, formula, ect. Do they do that?

Can anyone share experineces with me good or back. Please those who have given birth in military hospitals only.

Anything else you have to share or any advice would be appreciated greatly! thanks in advance

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

I am a former breast and proud formula feeding, non ERF in the past, diposable diapering, non co-sleeping, non baby weaning,non CIO, solid food asap, natural childbirth believing mom! So deal!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Chick
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Mine was Portsmouth Naval Hosptal. It was fine, not any different than any other american hospital. They were very nice.

They do send home samples, I don't remember what.

3n2
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I have given birth 3 times in a German hospital and 2 times in a Military hospital.  Once in Germany and once in Georgia. 

Neither one were horrible experiences, actually very similar to my German hospital experiences.  I thought afterwards they were kind of strange, they send the social worker to talk to you about shaken baby syndrome and some other stuff, things like that (that was in Georiga, maybe not everywhere?).  And they didn't have private rooms, some were, some weren't, depends on how busy the hospital was.

I don't remember being given anything to go home with really, I got more at the German hospital than the military hospital.  But, i think it just depends on where you are. 

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I gave birth at William Beaumont in Bliss with my first. And they tend to rotate docs every couple of years. Lucky for me I gave birth while the "good" docs were still there. They were very nice and supportive the nurses stayed in the room with me almost the whole time. They helped a lot after the baby with tips for bfing and swaddling. Lil things most new parents don't really know. My doctors (well the one that delivered me) came to the room three times to check on me and answer any questions I might have had before I left w/o me having to ask for him. The pediatrician was very attentive to my son coming to check and answers questions every few hours. They were very accomodating to family, which I know a lot of hospitals and staff aren't at all. Before I left home they loaded me down with diapers and gift bags,  blankets, (yep they packed the blankets for me to take lol) magazines and coupons galore. Since they didn't have anything special for BFing moms they gave me the diaper bags they give the formula moms which was very very useful and allowed me to interchange diaper bags for whatever situation I was in.

army_wifey_06
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I had my son at Madigan Army Medical Center in Washington state. Personally I had a great experience! The doctors and nurses were amazing and there your LO rooms with you so I liked having him with me all night. The only thing I didn't like is if they're busy you have to have a room mate which kinda sucks but I only had to have a room mate for 1 night.  On the day of discharge we had an amazing nurse and she sent us home with like 3 blankets from the hospital, 2 hats, and a bunch of diapers. I don't know if they always do that but she was like I brought you guys some stuff to take home Lol. I didn't have any problems with the miltary hospital at all. Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)