Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying used?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM
  • 23 Replies

We are on a super tight budget with our baby, and were considering shopping used (Ebay, Craigslist, consignment shops, garage sales, etc) to help us out. My mom is freaking out at the idea of her grandbaby having used items because of safety concerns. Of course, I'll make sure that the item has not been recalled before I buy it, but other than that, should I really be concerned?

Most items can be cleaned and you can't even tell they are used...so question is, do you buy used? Mostly I'm looking at things like swings, bouncers, changing tables, play-yards, crib mobiles, things like that.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RippledBegonias
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM

really- anything but a car seat or crib matress and I see no issue with it, a penny saved is a penny earned

nily
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I'm buying almost everything used this is my last baby and I want him/ her tohave everything but I dont want to spend a lot becuse after all I will be giving all away.

nemosmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:40 PM

yes i have bought used before except for carseats

southernjess3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM

i'm gonna get a good used bassinette if i can find one. she will only use it for 3 months so i dont wanna spend a lot on it...

AllNaturalMum
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Everything but car seats are safe to buy used... As long as you check on recalls and make sure they meet current safety standards.

We have a consignment store called Once Upon A Child around here, it is amazing... And I know they have stores all around the country!

pregnancy calendar
Randi02
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I would NEVER buy anything used for my baby, especially a carseat or crib.

You don't know how it was treated before you got it... yet you trust it with your babys safety?

Megara
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I would NOT buy a used crib, crib mattress, or car seat.  Anything else, as long as it is properly cleaned/disinfected and in excellent condition, sure.

AllNaturalMum
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:49 PM

It must be really nice to have that choice. However, for some of us this is not realistic, at all. I don't think I would buy new EVERYTHING even if I had the choice. Most of my DD's clothes are secondhand, her crib is secondhand, her bedding is secondhand, her bouncer is secondhand, her dresser is secondhand...

She would have MUCH less if I had decided that I would only use new things... Instead she is spoiled, and has safe items because it isn't hard to do a little research and check out what you are buying.

Quoting Randi02:

I would NEVER buy anything used for my baby, especially a carseat or crib.

You don't know how it was treated before you got it... yet you trust it with your babys safety?

pregnancy calendar
Cryssie2107
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM

ditto

Quoting RippledBegonias:

really- anything but a car seat or crib matress and I see no issue with it, a penny saved is a penny earned

ArmyWifey4907
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:51 PM

The only thing I absolutely refuse to buy used is the carseat/stroller system.  That we are buying brand new in a couple of months just because then I will know 100% that it has never been in an accident, etc.  Otherwise, I have no problem with buying used clothes, blankets, swing, etc.  I just wash everything before I use them.  We bought a changing table at Goodwill, I will be bleaching the changing pad.  I bought a huge box of clothes off of Craigslist that will be washed right before DD is born, as well as clothes my mom has picked up at thrift stores.

expecting girl          its a girl          toddler boy

pregnancy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)