Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Have you been getting charlie horses at night?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

Have you been getting charlie horses at night?

If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart!housefullofkidz.jpg picture by us5dots

by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
xanayda
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

yup... sucks.

CheyanneW
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Just avoid pointing your toes while stretching and you won't get them.

mother_of_JGM
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM

OMG MINE ARE HORRIBLE! I didnt know this had anything to do with pregnancy! They are so bad and excruciating I feel like Im gonna die from the pain!!! IF I wake up and feel it start I try to get out of bed as quickly as possible to stretch it out, I can not even describe how painful it is!

lauratupper
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM

i do in the morning when i first wake up and stretch out....so i try not to stretch as much....otherwise i can't move my legs.....

mother_of_JGM
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM
Get a Widget for this title

Ok so I googled charlie horses and pregnancy and here is what I found, it could be helpful to some.

Why do women get charlie horse while pregnant?

Suffering with bouts of charlie horses any time isn't fun, but when a woman is pregnant and sleep doesn't always have an eight hour shift, the last thing that is needed is waking up in the night with a charlie horse.

How do you know that it is a charlie horse?

It feels more intense than a cramp does. A cramp is a little easier to shake off. A Charlie Horse comes on suddenly with a vengeance. It will travel from the sole of the foot up and around the back of the calf and can extend up into the thigh as well. The muscles and tendons in the foot stiffen and harden. The calf muscle can feel as tense as a rock. When you hop out of bed to move it around, walking can be impossible. That should be when you know this is not just a little cramp.

Why do pregnant women get charlie horses?

There can be several factors in getting the cramps. One can be lack of potassium. The baby is absorbing more of that nutrient than the mother is taking in. A simple solution is to eat a banana a day. Other foods that are high in potassium are oranges, strawberries, muskmelon, spinach and broccoli. Basically your body is telling you to eat more fruits and vegetables. Although one might think a supplement is what is needed, the truth is that fruits and vegetables are the best medicine.

If potassium rich foods don't solve the problem, it can be that the baby is putting pressure on nerves and tendons that affect the legs and feet. Sometimes the Charlie Horses occur after the pregnant mother had been extremely physical. It may be connected to the loss of potassium too, but it can also result from simply overdoing it.

Another possibility is sitting in a car or airplane too long without getting out to stretch. Pregnant women need to get out of the vehicle more often than under normal circumstances.

Getting cold can cause an attack of charlie horses. Sometimes pregnant women feel hot due to the pregnancy and may sleep with legs uncovered. The legs will then get cold while sleeping causing the muscles to tense up. Think about whether cold air or air conditioning is blowing on the bed. This could be the culprit.

What to do when the charlie horse attacks?

* First it is important to relax and remain calm. Tensing up the muscles more will not relieve the pain.

* Find a partner to help you relax.

* Rubbing the foot and calf can make a significant difference. One of the best ways to relieve the pain is to bend the toes back toward the leg. Have the partner hold the foot in this position while rubbing the calf.

* Apply heat. Sometimes a heating pad will do the trick to loosen up the tight muscles.

* Try an old home recipe. My mother-in-law swears that the best way to prevent charlie horses is to remove a bar of hand soap from its package and place the soap at the foot of the bed under the bottom fitted sheet. I have never tried it myself, but to those of you that are suffering from this condition, anything is worth a try and a bar of soap is a simple thing to attempt.

Charlie horses are a very painful side effect that often accompanies pregnancy. Try a few preventative solutions and easy treatments to see if the condition lessens.

BaByMaMa27
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM

YES!!! I got em bad with my DD too :(

abeautifulhope
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM

eating like two banana's a day helps, if you can't choke down a banana oranges and lots of milk help as well.....and lots and lots of water. I drink two big glasses of milk a day, a glass of orange juice and lots of water and don't have charlie horses anymore....hope this helps some of you mamas! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)