Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What’s a ‘Pushed Birth’?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM
  • 46 Replies
5 moms liked this

I hope all the moms here to have the happiest and safest birth experiences possible!!

Making informed choices is everything~    here is something that might help a little.

;-)

What’s a ‘Pushed Birth’?

A pushed birth is one that is induced, sped up, and/or heavily medicated for no good reason, and all too often concludes with surgery, invasive instruments, an episiotomy, or a bad vaginal tear — outcomes you don’t want. Decades of research show that the healthiest birth for you and your baby — and that means your partner, your family, and your community — is a normal, vaginal birth with minimal intervention and maximum support.

If you’re like most American women, though, labor support is not what you’re going to get. Look at the numbers: 4 in 10 women today are induced. 1 in 3 give birth by major surgery, the cesarean section. 1 in 3 vaginal birthers get an episiotomy — surgical scissors cutting your vagina. And most women will put their pelvic floors at risk by lying in a bed throughout labor and pushing the baby out while while flat on their back.

Why? Because most L&D wards aren’t following best practices. They’re strapping 95% of women in for labor with continuous electronic fetal monitoring. It sounds great, but it’s actually a practice that goes against the research evidence. Time and time again, studies have shown that the machine is no better at monitoring your baby than a human being with a stethoscope, meanwhile it increases the likelihood of surgery and other unwanted outcomes because it limits your ability to move, find comfort, and help labor progress.

Labor and Delivery wards also put you on the clock, and more than half of you will be given the synthetic hormone Pitocin to speed things up. You’ll probably also have your water bag artificially broken. Once that happens, you’re on deadline: most OBs won’t allow you to labor more than 12 hours after your water has been broken. If you’re not pushing out that baby, you’re going to be pushed into the OR for a cesarean.

Or maybe you’re being told to induce labor because…your baby “looks big” on the ultrasound, or the fluid “looks low,” or it’s past your due date, or your doctor is going on vacation and you want her to deliver your baby, or you’re tired of being pregnant and, well, why not? There are compelling reasons to wait. An induced labor is not a normal, “physiological” labor. It’s more painful, it requires that you stay in bed hooked up to various tubes and machines, and it ups your chance of a C-section by two to three times. Furthermore, none of these reasons is medically valid.

Even if you’re able to go into labor on your own and progress fast enough, you’re probably going to push lying in a bed, and you’ll be told when to push, how long to push, and how hard to push. It’s a hold-your-breath-bear-down-and-count-to-ten kind of thing, and research has shown this practice to be damaging to your pelvic region and more likely to result in tearing as the baby emerges. Hello painful recovery, painful sex, and incontinence.

It sounds pretty grim, but it doesn’t have to be this way.

Now read Can I Avoid It?

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K.a.C.87
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM

very good to know. awesome stuff! BUMP!

sissychristi
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I love this post. Thanks for bringing it up.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Awesome stuff!!!

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant

JHall
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Well thank you!!!  I had one of those "Pushed Births"  And it was my first baby too.  So far from what I had pictured and far from pleasent!!  The even got mad at me after 3 1/2 hours of pushing saying I wasn't "doing it right"  Pushed births are so not fun If you can avoid them go for it don't let them hook you up on meds cause they say you are not in "active labor"  when in fact you are and they are the ones being lazy and want to go home lol

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Quoting JHall:

Well thank you!!!  I had one of those "Pushed Births"  And it was my first baby too.  So far from what I had pictured and far from pleasent!!  The even got mad at me after 3 1/2 hours of pushing saying I wasn't "doing it right"  Pushed births are so not fun If you can avoid them go for it don't let them hook you up on meds cause they say you are not in "active labor"  when in fact you are and they are the ones being lazy and want to go home lol

It is such a shame.    :-(

When you are having a frustrating time at work, at your day job, sometimes you get tired, worn out...   
BUT if your job is to help women bring their babies into the world as your day job, it means being patient and nurturing, being capable of balancing scientific training with trust of the normal process that has proven to be successful over the millions of years.

How DARE Mother Nature question SCIENCE!       ~Mike Tymeson

The impossible is often the untried.       ~Jim Goodwin

Women's bodies have their own wisdom, and a system of birth refined over 100,000 generations is not so easily overpowered.      ~Sarah Buckley

JHall
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM

It was the best/worst day of my life the nurses were mean and so was the midwife/OB.  I picked another place with my second and loved them and they are who I went with this time around too.  The whole group of OB's are just great.  I guess thats why I was so calm when being told I needed an emerg c section...You know about that one lol  Me and hubby like to joke around and be funny no matter what but that first go I felt uncomfortable with them and the hospital.  You gotta feel comfy in and with who you have chosen as your provider or it just doesn't go as planned.  Say no to the "pushed Births"!!!

Quoting doulala:

Quoting JHall:

It is such a shame.    :-(

When you are having a frustrating time at work, at your day job, sometimes you get tired, worn out...   
BUT if your job is to help women bring their babies into the world as your day job, it means being patient and nurturing, being capable of balancing scientific training with trust of the normal process that has proven to be successful over the millions of years.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Army_Wife41
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM

You are always full of great info. Thanks so much! My water broke on its own last time, and the fluid had quite a lot of meconium in it. My labor had not even really started ( I was in early labor I think...I was having sporadic contractions for about 12 hours before my water broke at home), so I had to get pitocin...I could not handle the pain of the contractions (I think is psyched myself out about it a little...but the pitocin definitely made them hurt worse) so I got an epidural. I am crossing my fingers that this time I am able to have a natural birth, hopefully no meconium in the fluid, and hopefully it doesn't break early like it did last time.

Grudgie1
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM

bump

Aus
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Some of the things that are above are reasons why Im so afraid of birthing at a hospital. Some people we know think I'm crazy for choosing to deliver at a birth center. I think their crazy for actually allowing these things to be done to them during a medicalized birth. I'm grateful that I had the innititive to learn more about natural birth so that I can make the right choices for me and my baby.

A girl I work with has three children and had Pit for all of them, because her doctor told her Pitocin puts less stress on the baby than not having it at all. Its sad that doctors can flat out LIE to women and trick them into doing what the doctor wants.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM
Quoting Aus:

A girl I work with has three children and had Pit for all of them, because her doctor told her Pitocin puts less stress on the baby than not having it at all. Its sad that doctors can flat out LIE to women and trick them into doing what the doctor wants.

Less stress??    

Is she having a normal-healthy pregnancy?   If so, yes, a lie.      >:-(

If she has particular complications, then maybe that might be true...     depends.

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

Midwives
see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem;
doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a
miracle!     
~Barbara Harper

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)