Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can you jinx yourself?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM
  • 18 Replies

Im a little worried about that? I hear people saying they arent buying for their baby until they are in the 2nd or 3rd trimester because they dont want to jinx themselves...

I have bought almost EVERYTHING (besides clothes, a carseat, pretty much) we need already. I am so excited and cant wait for him/her to get here!

But then I started wondering if I was jinxing myself for having bought this stuff (I mean, Ive even bought bottles and a baby monitor....lol)

Do you believe in it?

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2girls0305
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I do kinda I mean I have waited until 2nd trimester to buy stuff

theladybugscafe
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I do sorry. I am almost 33 weeks and havn't even put up the crib yet or decorated the nursery in anyway

kamsmommy17
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I don't know that you can "jinx" yourself and it's every person's preference as to when they want to start shopping. I can honestly say I never did as early as you have, but I had a MC at 8 weeks in between these two babies and I think if I had bought anything for that baby it would have made the healing process just that much harder. I definitely don't think you will jinx yourself by doing so though and like I said, I think it's just personal preference...good luck with your pregnancy!

amazingaudri

Nope. I haven't bought anything yet. This baby is getting mostly hand-me-downs from it's big sister (crib, carseat, the BIG stuff and all the gender neutral clothes if it's a boy).

With my daughter, I was buying basics by 10 weeks! I just couldn't help myself!

Pregnancy%20ticker

Mom2Kylie2708

call me crazy but i do. I wait until 2nd trimester....but i look constantly!

MommyRJ
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM

i dont think you can "jinx" yourself.. God plays his cards the way they are supposed to be....

BUT i have always felt weird/bad idk about buying anything in the 1st trimester, both pregnancies now i have waited until the big US so i KNOW everything is okay and know the sex.

and no offense at all, but 6 weeks is VERY early

Briannas_mommy1
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM

i don't believe in the whole "jinx" thing. But I know alot of people wait to but stuff that late because most miscarriages happen before 12 weeks, so alot of people "think"that if they buy stuff before hand, it "jinxes" them and they miscarry. i wouldn't worry to much about it, it is just want people "think".

jean_marie1987
by Member on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I think only if you believe it.  I don't believe in it though.  I started buying stuff as soon as I found out, and DS was born happy and healthy!  I have a personal philosophy about luck and jinxes... And part of it is believing...

palemoon21
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Sort of.....but I have already recieved some gifts. I won't buy anything till later.

Sweet_Britt
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Quoting MommyRJ:

i dont think you can "jinx" yourself.. God plays his cards the way they are supposed to be....

BUT i have always felt weird/bad idk about buying anything in the 1st trimester, both pregnancies now i have waited until the big US so i KNOW everything is okay and know the sex.

and no offense at all, but 6 weeks is VERY early

LMAO...what would be offensive about that?

I have no past history of miscarriage at all. and no cramping or any reason to worry. I would MUCH rather enjoy this pregnancy and get what I want, when i want, rather then waiting for what may never happen ; )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)