Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Water Birth.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

What are the pros and cons?

I am quite interested in it, if I could do it. My husband is coming home soon and we are going to TTC #2.

Proud Army Wife to Daniel and Mommy to Garrett.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daisymae6
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM

my fourth baby was born at home and in the water. Being in the water during that last hour really helped me to relax. Water also helps to soften your perinium and help reduce tearing during birth. Alex was my biggest baby and the only one that i had no tearing at all.

ttaylor1998
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I have never heard any cons to water birth. lol

Pros, just like pp mentioned, it lessens you chance of tearing, relaxes you, is comforting, helps reduce pain & most importantly it is a much easier transition for baby.

My little guy was born at home in the tub. =)

WAHM behind DypesByDixon

Next Stocking: January 28th!

Mama2lilGarrett
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Thank ladies. I'm trying to convince my husband but so far he is not for it.

ttaylor1998
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Simple fix...   you don't ask, you tell and educate him if he's willing to listen.  He is not the one giving birth, you are. =)

And forgot to add in my previous reply, good luck TTC. =)

Quoting Mama2lilGarrett:

WAHM behind DypesByDixon

Next Stocking: January 28th!

doulala
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I have had 2 waterbirths, they were wonderful!!

And I can't really think of any cons except that if a mom isn't feeling like a tub then don't force her to get in it, lol.

I agree, the mom is the one IN labor, doing the pain-coping.   SHE needs to choose how she wants to labor.   Sure it can be discussed, but it is HER call!

;-)

What part is he not for??

Daisymae6
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Quoting Mama2lilGarrett:

YOu should look into some books on natural birthing. My husband was pretty much against a home birth when we found out that i was pregnant but I would just tell him facts as i was reading and by and by he bacame more comfortable with it.  Besides the fact that when push (no pun intended) comes to shove it's MY body that has to push out the baby, not his. After the baby was born I asked my husband which he would rather have a home or hospital birth and he said without hesitation "Definately a home birth"

With that being saidyou should ask your husband why he is against it. In all likelyhood he is just nervous and or afraid for you and the baby. I suggest talking over those fears and researching the real facts surrounding a natural birth. Once you've addressed those fears he may begin to see where you are coming from and you may find that he will be a more willing participant.

Some books i would suggest reading are: 

Gentle Birth by Barbara Harper  (this book was my favorite it really went over the history of modern maternal care in a way that opened my eyes... It had a great section about birthing in water)

Ina Mae's Guide to Childbirth by Ina Mae Gaskin  (this book has many positive birth stories which i found very inspiring

Birthing From Within by Pam England (This book goes over creative ways to explore what you expect and fear from the birthing process.. this might actually be helpful for you and  your husband)

those were my favorites... I checked them out thru my local library system thru their online catalogue.

Daisy

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics  myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics 
   11.gif bfing and pregnancy image by myspacekitkat 

MammaRed
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Another Pro that I have heard is that many moms feel that "ring of fire" when baby is crowing.  I have heard that this is either lessened or completely taken away by the warm, soothing water.  (This of course is in conjunction to the reduction in tearing that the first poster mentioned!)

As for hubby being on board, all these other mommas have pointed out the obvious.  Although I do understand you wanting to take his opinions into consideration, you are afterall looking into the safest and most calm birth for your child together.  Maybe you two can look into a freestanding birth center which offer jacuzzi tubs, and sometimes hospitals have them - you don't necesarily need a homebirth to achieve a water birth.  Just try (together) looking into what options work for your area.  (Though homebirth is equally safe, if not safer than hospital births for low risk women! ;o)  )

Maybe together, in addition to the wonderful books these women have suggested, you and hubby rent and watch The Business of Being Born.  You can rent it off netflix or buy it on Amazon.com.  That movie is quite the eye opener into our Maternal Care system.

Mama2lilGarrett
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM

He doesn't want to possibly sit in the tub with me. He thinks its quite disgusting (sounds childish I know)

Quoting doulala:

And I can't really think of any cons except that if a mom isn't feeling like a tub then don't force her to get in it, lol.

I agree, the mom is the one IN labor, doing the pain-coping.   SHE needs to choose how she wants to labor.   Sure it can be discussed, but it is HER call!

;-)

Proud Army Wife to Daniel and Mommy to Garrett.

Daisymae6
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM

My husband wasn't in the tub with me... he thought it was gross too... he was still right behind me but outside of the tub which was fine by me.  :)

Quoting Mama2lilGarrett:

He doesn't want to possibly sit in the tub with me. He thinks its quite disgusting (sounds childish I know)

Quoting doulala:

;-)

Daisy

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics  myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics 
   11.gif bfing and pregnancy image by myspacekitkat 

doulala
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Of course he doesn't have to get in--  lots of dads don't!     :-)

I know of some dads that don't even want to be in the room...

I don't think it's childish exactly---   to each his own!

;-)

IF you want support & help, you can move to be accessible from outside the tub.   Midwives do their work from outside the tub, so he could too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)