Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

home birth. I REALLY want one.(but don't know if I can)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM
  • 39 Replies

I've been converted. I REALLY want to deliver my baby in the comfort of my home. I was plannng a water birth at the hospital but I would prefer to just stay home! I'm searching for (and found some) midwifes that do home births. The biggest problem is my insurance. I'm covered under TriWest, and I know that there are some midwifes in my area who except this. But I don't know if TriWest covers home births. I've searched and searched and cant find anything that says if they do or not. I'll be calling on Monday to ask what their policy is on such things. Oh and I live on the 6th floor in my apartment building...will that make a difference on wether or not I can? (do I have to live in a house to have a home birth? not to do with insurance, necessarily.) I know that sounds like a stupid quetion but I need to know. Oh and if I get the home birth I stil want to have my water birth.

ok sorry it's long but anyone got any advice or knowledge on the subject? (ok well I know you do, so lets here it please!!)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lmurphy22
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I don't know about your insurance but I am pretty sure that living in an apartment wouldn't matter. Just warn your neighbors that you are doing it so that if you get loud during labor they don't think your being murdered. the only problem I could see with it is if there is a problem and you have to go to the hospital do you have an elevator? or would you have to go down 6 flights of stairs? I think as long as you come up with a contingency plan for how they will get you out of the building in a situation like that it shouldn't be an issue. I have heard of women getting hotel rooms to do their home-births so I doubt the fact that its not a house would matter.

KendraCay
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:30 PM

oh we have 3 elevators! and only 10 min from hospital! lol wow I couldnt imagine walking down ONE flight let alone 6 at that time! =)  Do you think I should talk to the apartment managment to make sure that it would be ok?

Quoting lmurphy22:

I don't know about your insurance but I am pretty sure that living in an apartment wouldn't matter. Just warn your neighbors that you are doing it so that if you get loud during labor they don't think your being murdered. the only problem I could see with it is if there is a problem and you have to go to the hospital do you have an elevator? or would you have to go down 6 flights of stairs? I think as long as you come up with a contingency plan for how they will get you out of the building in a situation like that it shouldn't be an issue. I have heard of women getting hotel rooms to do their home-births so I doubt the fact that its not a house would matter.

doulala
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:36 PM

You can birth in an apartment.   Ask the midwives to scope out the structure and the size of pool to be sure the weight capacity--   they usually say it's fine, from what I remember.
Do you have a bathtub?

You can investigate the insurance situation, ask the MWs themselves what they will work with.
You might want to talk with the MWs first~   to see how to best approach the insurance company...    There may be a "better" route to asking.

lmurphy22
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Well that depends... I don't think they really have the right to tell you you can't but if they are pretty cool about stuff like that then yes I would give them a heads up, but if they aren't then I wouldn't because if they REALLY want to fight you on it they could file a court order to stop you or find someway to make it a violation of your lease. They might decide its a liability for them or something too. If you do feel that you should tell them then I'd wait until your much closer to your due date.

Quoting KendraCay:

oh we have 3 elevators! and only 10 min from hospital! lol wow I couldnt imagine walking down ONE flight let alone 6 at that time! =)  Do you think I should talk to the apartment managment to make sure that it would be ok?

Quoting lmurphy22:

CafeMom Tickers

doulala
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM

No~    I do not think you should discuss it with the manager.  Or even your neighbors UNLESS you are very close friends (and can trust them to not mention it to others).

Although you are legally allowed to birth at home, you can meet with great opposition from ignorance.   If the manager or owner doesn't agree with your personal-private choices they can make it difficult for you.

This is your business, your private business.  

And the point of a homebirth (among several, lol) is to enjoy and relax...   You don't need any extra obstacles. 

Quoting KendraCay:

Quoting lmurphy22:

"There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don't ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it."
-Sheryl Feldman

KendraCay
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM

We do have a bathtub, but it's so small it's uncomfortable to sit in now and I'm not in labor or very big yet. So I should wait to talk to the insurance, until I find a midwife that will work with me...and have her talk to the insurance, or the would know better how I should talk to the insurance? Either way I can do that. thanks!

Quoting doulala:

You can birth in an apartment.   Ask the midwives to scope out the structure and the size of pool to be sure the weight capacity--   they usually say it's fine, from what I remember.
Do you have a bathtub?

You can investigate the insurance situation, ask the MWs themselves what they will work with.
You might want to talk with the MWs first~   to see how to best approach the insurance company...    There may be a "better" route to asking.

doulala
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM

If this were me, I would talk with the midwives first.    They often can help with "insurance speak."   Without that guidance, you *might* lead yourself down the wrong path...    

I am grateful to have done this--    my MWs were able to keep me on my insurance because of their knowledge of laws, healthcare, and insurance talk.    It really pays to know the tricks of the trade sometimes, I guess...  

Quoting KendraCay:

We do have a bathtub, but it's so small it's uncomfortable to sit in now and I'm not in labor or very big yet. So I should wait to talk to the insurance, until I find a midwife that will work with me...and have her talk to the insurance, or the would know better how I should talk to the insurance? Either way I can do that. thanks!

Quoting doulala:

Do you have a bathtub?

"There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don't ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it."
-Sheryl Feldman

KendraCay
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

oh! And another question. I have an appointment with my OB on tuesday (glucose test) I should go to my ob as normal until I officially have a midwife correct? Should I tell my Ob that I am planning to find a midwife? or wait until I find a midwife?

doulala
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Do not tell your OB, no.   No reason!  ;-)

After you find a MW, call the OB office and let them know you changed providers.   You don't ever have to speak with your doctor directly if you don't want to.

Your MWs are less likely to encourage that test--   I know many don't bother...   You can see if it's even worth it at all!

;-)

Kelzie4
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM

GO TO YOU TUBE AND SEARCH HOME BIRTH... IT IS BEAUTIFUL. I HAVE NEVER DONE IT MY INSURANCE WONT COVER... BUT I WOULD SO LOVE TO!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)