Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Hypnobabies class starts tomorrow & I'm scared!!!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am terrified of the unknown. I have made the $350 commitment to try this and hope that it can work for me. Have any of you ever taken the class?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MTATMA
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I haven't but here is a bump.

BaByMaMa27
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Thank you! :D

Quoting MTATMA:

I haven't but here is a bump.

doulala
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Oh, how great!!    I am so glad you are doing it!!!

:-D

I am considering doing it (from a doula's perspective, not a parent)--   or HypnoBabies, anyway...

I think that you will learn a lot.   What ever happens in labor, you will have a coping tool to use, if you choose.

:-D

MamaKalila
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I'm doing the home study course right now, but just starting. Good luck!

MarigoldsMama
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I didn't do HypnoBabies...but I did use self-hypnosis for both of my deliveries and it worked really well for me!  Have fun at your class! My class really bonded and then we all got together with our babies afterward. It was really fun!

BaByMaMa27
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:12 AM

How does it really work? Like HOW does that releive pain?

doulala
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Quoting BaByMaMa27:

You'll have to tell us!   lol!
But it's about learning to be able to focus on being okay and surrendering.

Frequently asked Questions about Hypnobabies:

What does hypnosis feel like? 

Hypnosis is a means of moving into a perfectly natural state of mind that people actually move in and out of several times in a day. Have you ever had the experience of driving along the highway and suddenly realizing that you passed your exit several miles back? Or been so caught up in a book or movie or video game that you don't even realize that someone has been speaking to you for the past several minutes? THAT is hypnosis. So you see, when a hypnotist induces you into hypnosis they are not asking you to experience anything strange or that you haven't experienced before.
Can anyone be hypnotized?

Anyone of at least average intelligence, who can follow directions can be hypnotized. Occasionally, a person may need several attempts before actually entering into hypnosis. What causes this? Generally, it's holding onto a little bit of fear- fear of loss of control. This is actually a misunderstanding as the proper use of hypnosis actually gives you greater control over all aspects of your life.

Will I do something against my will?

When you are hypnotized , you are aware of all suggestions given to you and you will not do anything against your moral or ethical principles. (despite what you may have seen in stage shows of hypnosis)

Will I Remember Everything That Happens in Hypnosis?

Yes, you will remember everything that happens in hypnosis if that is your desire. Occasionally a person might choose to selectively forget certain facts for a time and then bring them up later when they are more ready.

What If You Can't Bring Me Out of It?

There is no danger of a person failing to come out of the hypnotic state. In fact it would be impossible to remain hypnotized. Some people choose to stay in trance a little longer because it feels so good and it's the most relaxed they've been in their lives!

But I Can't be Hypnotized!

Again, ANYONE can be hypnotized (see above). There is no such thing as a "good" subject or a "bad" subject, only those who choose not to follow directions.

WHY HYPNOSIS?

Because in hypnosis you access your subconscious or more powerful part of your mind where real, lasting change takes place. You may have heard it said that we only use 10% of our brain; hypnosis is a way to get access to that other 90% . Especially in habit and pain control, this eliminates any internal battle that may occur.

According to Roberta De Silva, Cht:

Fact: Any person of normal intelligence can be hypnotized. All that is necessary is imagination and a willingness to cooperate. The best subject is a person who has a good reason for hypnosis and a strong motivation to accomplish a particular need or desire. The ability to be hypnotized is dependent upon the ability to relax and simply listen.

For example, if you were going to learn to play the piano, your teacher would point to a particular key and say, "This is middle C." To you, that is a suggestion. You either accept or reject the fact that the note in question is middle C. If you accept, you will undoubtedly go on and learn to play the piano. If you reject the suggestion, you may eventually learn to play, but it will be a long, hard and confusing process. If you approach hypnosis with confidence, rather than fear, you will achieve your desired goals. Dave Elman, who instructs dentists in the field of hypnosis, has this to say - "Remove fear, and one hundred people out of one hundred will enter hypnosis easily."

More information:

How Hypnosis works

"There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don't ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it."
-Sheryl Feldman

MarigoldsMama
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Quoting BaByMaMa27:

I can only speak for myself, but for me... it wasn't like the pain "magically disappeared" --I just eased into it and refocused on something else.

The closest thing that I can compare it to is like running or exercising. If you focus on discomfort, pain, your burning lungs or legs, you think... "oh yeah, this sucks!" but if you can make your mind go somewhere else -- your body finds its rhythm and you stop noticing your discomfort. It is kind of hard to explain... but I was able to deliver my big babies (9lbs and 10lbs) without any pain meds... and I never felt overwhelmed or out-of-control.

One of the other factors they stress is not tensing your body against the contractions / surges. If you clench against the "pain" it is less effective than just staying relaxed and letting the wave pass over you. Feeling confident and unafraid helps a lot.

In your class they will teach you a variety of different laboring techniques that will help too.

My best advice is to go into your class with an open mind and don't get caught up in what might sound "cheesy" or weird. Just go with it and see how it works for you!

:0)

CafeMom Tickers

BaByMaMa27
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Thank you so much! You really put me at ease :) I am a very high strung Momma,  do you think it will be easy for me to relax and let it happen? With my DD, I faught them. Likje everytime I had one, I'd curl up into a ball & get super tense :( Breathing hurt more?

Quoting MarigoldsMama:

Quoting BaByMaMa27:

I can only speak for myself, but for me... it wasn't like the pain "magically disappeared" --I just eased into it and refocused on something else.

The closest thing that I can compare it to is like running or exercising. If you focus on discomfort, pain, your burning lungs or legs, you think... "oh yeah, this sucks!" but if you can make your mind go somewhere else -- your body finds its rhythm and you stop noticing your discomfort. It is kind of hard to explain... but I was able to deliver my big babies (9lbs and 10lbs) without any pain meds... and I never felt overwhelmed or out-of-control.

One of the other factors they stress is not tensing your body against the contractions / surges. If you clench against the "pain" it is less effective than just staying relaxed and letting the wave pass over you. Feeling confident and unafraid helps a lot.

In your class they will teach you a variety of different laboring techniques that will help too.

My best advice is to go into your class with an open mind and don't get caught up in what might sound "cheesy" or weird. Just go with it and see how it works for you!

MamaKalila
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I'm sure MarigoldsMama can answer this better, but had to throw this in here.  One thing the program emphisises is practicing the techniques. It might not be easy for you to let go and relax at first, but keep at it & it'll become easier for you. It really depends on how much you put into it.  I got scared w/ my first pregnancy and had a similar experience to you... reading the HypnoBirthing book awhile back (I was gonna go w/ that before we decided on HypnoBabies) made me realize what I'd done exactly and eased my mind a lot.  Obviously I don't know what my outcome will be exactly, but I'm determined to practice as much as possible and give myself the best chance I can. Am not dwelling on anything bad... If it equals out to a pain free birth then awesome, if its more like MarigoldsMama described, I will still be very happy with it lol. 

Quoting BaByMaMa27:

Thank you so much! You really put me at ease :) I am a very high strung Momma,  do you think it will be easy for me to relax and let it happen? With my DD, I faught them. Likje everytime I had one, I'd curl up into a ball & get super tense :( Breathing hurt more?

Quoting MarigoldsMama:

Quoting BaByMaMa27:

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobuckethttp://www.youravon.com/kmery AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)