Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Madelyn Carole :)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM
  • 25 Replies

Well I came in yesterday morning for a scheduled csection.  They were prepping me and the dr came in to do an ultrasound and she asked how I was feeling.  I told her, "I feel great I just really really really don't want a csection, my heart is set on a VBAC and I know I can do it."  She checked all of my blood work, protein, everything, talked with the chief, her and the chief explained all of the risks to me and decided to let me go ahead with a vbac.  I was already contracting every 5-7 min on my own.  They let me labor for a few hours then started a very slow drip of pitocin around 11 or so.  At 2 I wanted to get some sleep but my contractions really started hurting so I went ahead and got the epidural.  At around 4:15 they came in and broke my water.  At that time I was around 5-6cm dilated, 50% thinned and at a -2 station. They checked me again around 7:30 and I hadn't changed at all.  I believe they then started secretly discussing a csection, which had crossed my mind too but I was determined to stick with the vbac.  At about 8:30 I started feeling alot of pain and pressure, not in my belly but down there, my belly and legs were still numb from the epi.  The anesthesiologist came in and added some stuff to my epi and upped my dose on the machine.  About an hour later the pain was worse and so was the pressure so I had my sister go get my nurse, she checked me and I was at 9cm and a 0 station.  She told me it would take about 30-45 min to get to at least a -1 where she wanted me.  I don't even think she sat down in her chair and I had my sister go get her again, she checked me again and I was fully dilated and baby was right there.  She had me do a couple practice pushes but I just wasn't quite ready and couldnt get the hang of the pushing so she had me relax  and again I dont think she got to her chair before we were calling her back in.  She came in and had me push again, she didnt even get to 10 and she closed my legs, crossed my feet and paged the dr.  They put my feet up and I told the dr he better hurry up and get his stuff on because I was pushing whether he was ready or not.  It took 3 pushes and she shot out like a cannon, seriously.  That last push didnt just get her head out but her whole body just shot out at high speed, the dr almost didnt catch her.  It was pretty easy but because she came out so  quick I tore really bad, took them about 45 min to get me all stitched up.  He said i tore backwards, frontward and sideways.  But it feels much better than a csection :)

Here she is!! Madelyn Carole 9lbs 9oz 20 in long born at 10:22pm 3/5/10

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyof3boys312
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Congrats mama!!!!! She is gorgeous !

mindi6103
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

congrats!!!

alishabear0808
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

She is beautiful! Congrats....

adri_nevarez
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Congrats!  She is such a beauty!  I hope that lots of expecting women read this... so many doctors try to push c-sections because their babies are "too big" - you gave birth to a 9 lb baby and did so well!  (One of my best friends was told she needed a csection because her pelvis was too small and she listened, she now regrets it because she had such a tough recovery)

Again, congrats!

Grudgie1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM

That is awesome! Congrats!!

mrspreggers14
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:52 PM

she is so beautiful!!! way to go on your vbac!!!! And she has soo much hair!!!! I hope my next one has tons too my first was bald..

madihabib
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:53 PM

congrat........... she is beautiful

you r so bravehugs

Sarina8895
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Congrats honey. I can't wait til my little one gets here. I'm jealous ;) my daughter weighed what yours weighed at birth at about 4 months! I couldn't imagine pushing that out!
Becca030507
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM

AHHH she is precious!! Congrats on a successful VBAC!! I hope you and baby are doing well!!

CurryCurry
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM

She's beautiful! And more power to you for asking for a VBAC - another piece of evidence, that a lot of unnecessary interventions can be avoided if women just speak up for themselves!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)