Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I do something wrong?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

I ate a can of tuna a few minutes ago and sudently my best friend is telling me that I did something horrible because I shouldnt eat tuna. Is she right? I have never heard of that and if is true why.Is my baby at risk because of it?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flyfree55
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM

to much tuna can cause issues but that like 7 cans a week one wont do anything.

gertrude_shea
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM

you arent supposed to eat much fish at all...some are safer than others...but tuna is the worst...it has a shit load of mercury in it and it not good for a baby...i wouldnt say your baby is at risk but dont eat anymore tuna...and you might want to talk to your OB about it...because your not very far along!

crystalchu
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM

You can have up to 12 ounces of light tuna a week so your fine :)

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/nutrition/is-tuna-safe-during-pregnancy/

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Cynthia86
by Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I'm thinking it has to do with the mercury. less than two servings a week is recommended if i remember correctly.

alishabear0808
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I have been eating tuna my whole pregnany ( i am 32 weeks now) My dr told me that it was just fine to eat it in moderation, I eat it about 2-3 times a month !

Dara0820
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:10 PM

You're fine!!!!!!!!! Don't let her scare you. My OB said it's fine to eat 1 can of Tuna a week.....it's because of the high mercury levels in Fish and Tuna, but one can a week is fine, don't worry.

pregnancy

Dara

Sweet_Holly
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Some, including the Food and Drug Administration, say that pregnant women (as well as those planning to become pregnant and moms who are nursing) should limit fish consumption to at most 12 ounces per week in order to limit the amount of mercury they consume.

I was gonna eat a tuna salad sandwich then remembered that I didnt eat any at all when Preggo with DS just to be safe and avoid mercury all together.

I was advised this about tuna fish from my OB so I pretty much always listen to what they have to say.. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Proud Mama & Wifey to her DS Caleb & DH Dan & Bundle of Joy#2. Pro-Israel, Pro IDF, Pro FF. Pro C/S. Pro Modern Living, Pro Dancing Mama's. Pro Shoppaholic Girly Girl Mama's :)

nily
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Thank you ladies I was about to run to the ER. Now I feel stupid LOL. Is good to learn something new I dint knew that.

cristina0709
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM

too much tuna can give the baby too much mercury. i beleive it is 7 - 12 oz a week is ok, any more is too much.

theladybugscafe
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM

yeah my doctor said just do not eat like shark and swordfish and stuff like that becaus eit contains a butt load of mercury and can be dangerous. And it is safe to have other kinds of fish but no more then 2 to 3 times a week! I love tuna so I was happy'!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)