Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccine Question...Please No Bashing...I'm looking for advice

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM
  • 19 Replies

I have a vaccine question. If you're against vaccination then this isn't the post for you. I am coming here for help and advice and support from fellow mommies...not to get bashed. Thanks!

I live in VA and they seem to have a pretty strict vaccine law...they want your kids to have all these different vaccines before they can attend school in this state. Moving is out of the question but what my concern or question is...How can I avoid some of the vaccines that I want to avoid if the state says you have to have them if you want your children to go to school here!

Also, since it looks like a lot of the vaccines are required...what schedule did you use for your kid(s)? I am looking for a delayed or alternative schedule but I can't find anything online and I can't get to the library to get "The Vaccine Book"...I just returned it and forgot to make a copy of the delayed vaccine schedule.

I'm totally lost on what to do here...I'm due in 3 weeks and I defiantely don't want to give my baby ANY vaccines for the first 2 months of life...maybe longer but I need more input from moms :-) Oh and my little one won't be going to daycare...I'll be staying home with her.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
--Nicole--
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I don't vax at all, but VA should have a religious exemption. Nobody can pry into your religious beliefs and your child CAN go to school with some vaxxes missing.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

Anlice

hmm i have no idea.  But here is a bump for you!

Megara

I use an alternative schedule that my pediatrician uses.  She doesn't start vaccines until either 2 or 4 months (I forget, bc my DD didn't start her's until 4 months), and then gives no more than two at a time.  This means you may have to come in for some extra visits - I know we had a 15 month visit just for vaccines.  She also does not give MMR until 2 years, or 3 years if the child has a history of bad reactions to vaccines or autism in the family.

Kelseyciarah
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I live in Va aswell, and yeah if kids are not up to date on their shots, they will get kicked out/rejected of school. My little sister wasnt allowed to advance to middle school until she got her shots updated. Its a safety thing. But I agree, I dont think anyone should force you to vaccinate your children if you dont wish to do so!

abra
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I'm in maryland, we found a dr. at John's Hopkins who doesn't mind doing delayed vaccines. We only get the ones absolutely necessary. We just go in twice a year or so and get some of the shots done. She's pretty chill about it. We are very fortunate. We are still moving to Idaho, though, before our kids start school. they have much more relaxed laws about that stuff. :-)

(i should mention that my kids are 4 and 1 and i'm a stay at home mom, so it doesn't matter too much)

pregnancyLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
HamBergerMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM

In ohio at least you can refuse vaccines, as long as they have them by the time you would want them to go to kindergarten, or daycare/preschool.

We use a family doc instead of Pediatrician, and he lets us just schedule the appointments when we want. Alex is around 2 mos behind schedule. I wasn't as informed as I am now and so with this one, I don't want Kalea to have any in the hospital and then wait till 3 mos before she gets any. Which shouldn't be a prob for us.

Mommy to Alexander Jayce 05.21.09 and Kalea Brielle EDD 06.15.2009pregnancy

jun10modgn1l by you.

CTRedSoxMom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM

All states offer vaccine waivers for relgious reasons for school.

--Nicole--
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Quoting HamBergerMama:

In ohio at least you can refuse vaccines, as long as they have them by the time you would want them to go to kindergarten, or daycare/preschool.

We use a family doc instead of Pediatrician, and he lets us just schedule the appointments when we want. Alex is around 2 mos behind schedule. I wasn't as informed as I am now and so with this one, I don't want Kalea to have any in the hospital and then wait till 3 mos before she gets any. Which shouldn't be a prob for us.

I am in Ohio as well and Ohio has all 3 exemptions. I believe there are only 2 or 3 states left that accept the philosophical exemption, Ohio being one of them. Ohio also has the religious and medical one. With that said both my 2 can attend school with no vaxs

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

onlyjamesgirl
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

I live in Va aswell, and yeah if kids are not up to date on their shots, they will get kicked out/rejected of school. My little sister wasnt allowed to advance to middle school until she got her shots updated. Its a safety thing. But I agree, I dont think anyone should force you to vaccinate your children if you dont wish to do so!

So what vaccine schedule do you use? No judgement or anything I'm asking because I need advice! :-)

CafeMom Tickers
millinco
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I have also been wondering about vaccines, but since we are military I don't know if they will let us do a delayed vaccine schedule.  I have had some bad reactions to vaccines, but the baby won't have to get any of those crazy ones unless we get orders overseas.  My biggest concern is the autism issue, but it's so hard to know what to believe without any good solid research out there. 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)