Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Happy Cesarean Awareness Month!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM
  • 35 Replies

April is Cesarean Awareness Month!

A couple great places to check out and get involved :

Happy Cesarean Awareness Month

April is Cesarean Awareness Month

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
First_One_8_18
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM

laughing

They really do have a month for everything!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

MonroeLoves82
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:23 AM

I am not sure why this would be funny. With all the recent reports nationwide it is clearly needed!

Quoting First_One_8_18:

laughing

They really do have a month for everything!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison, and expecting our Third!
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, cloth diapering, feminist.

Check out The Uber Crunchy Army Wife!

First_One_8_18
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I completely disagree. I think it's rediculous. I just can't get over how many people pity women who have c-sections. If you have  a healthy, breathing baby, I think it's stupid to waste your time and energy feeling sorry for yourself because of how your baby got there. Some people just don't know how to be thankful for what they have sitting in front of them.

I'm going to leave it at that. I won't be debating this.  I think it's the dumbest thing I have ever heard and yes, I do think that it is laughable. Seriously laughable. : D

I should add that I have had TWO c-sections, so yes, I do know some of the emotions that go with it. If  women could  just get over it, get past the fact that you had one and not a vag birth and a lot of women would be a LOT happier. Why spend so much energy feeling sorry for yourself and depressed about something that is in the past? I just don't get it. I think it's stupid to invite that much negative energy into your life over anything.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I completely disagree. I think it's rediculous. I just can't get over how many people pity women who have c-sections. If you have  a healthy, breathing baby, I think it's stupid to waste your time and energy feeling sorry for yourself because of how your baby got there. Some people just don't know how to be thankful for what they have sitting in front of them.

I'm going to leave it at that. I won't be debating this.  I think it's the dumbest thing I have ever heard and yes, I do think that it is laughable. Seriously laughable. : D

If you had a traumatic c-section you would NEVER NEVER say such a horribly insensitive thing.  IT does matter to a woman who has a c-section, and to say that a healthy baby and mom are all that matters is mean and nasty.  I truly hope that you never have to endure that type of thing it can be very damaging to a person for a VERY VERY long time, you don't get over it.  IT IS NOT A JOKE, IT IS NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First_One_8_18
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM

My mom had a seriously traumatic c-section birth after 3 days of labor and 4 hours of pushing and she thinks the same thing. She says that "she was happy it was over and we were both healthy". So yea, that argument doesn't work for me.

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Quoting First_One_8_18:

My mom had a seriously traumatic c-section birth after 3 days of labor and 4 hours of pushing and she thinks the same thing. She says that "she was happy it was over and we were both healthy". So yea, that argument doesn't work for me.

Just because you don't feel that way and your mother doesn't feel that way doesn't give you any right to belittle women who do feel that way.  You obviously have not truly walked in their shoes and have no right to judge them in that manner.  Each situation is different and many many many c-section moms are very traumatized and hurt over the situation, and should not be made to feel that they way they feel is in any way wrong. 

doulala
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting First_One_8_18:

If you had a traumatic c-section you would NEVER NEVER say such a horribly insensitive thing.  IT does matter to a woman who has a c-section, and to say that a healthy baby and mom are all that matters is mean and nasty.  I truly hope that you never have to endure that type of thing it can be very damaging to a person for a VERY VERY long time, you don't get over it.  IT IS NOT A JOKE, IT IS NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot of reasons that women might like to avoid cesareans:

Women are (4 x) more likely to die from a cesarean birth than a vaginal.
We are learning that MOST cesareans are unnecessary.
More babies have to be separated from their moms after a cesarean--   hard on the baby and the mom.

And so many other reasons(!)  why it's great to share awareness...     Cesareans should be taken seriously!!

:-(

...the obstetric community has been overly zealous in ‘treating’ a

normal physiological process and has been triggering many of the

medical crises that lead to cesarean surgery. Greater adherence to

evidence-based medicine would drop the national cesarean rate

dramatically. Obstetricians and hospitals have found that

high-intervention birth, warranted or not, is very profitable. So there

is a tremendous financial incentive to bypass the clinically optimal

approach, and opt for convenience and profit. For example, many

hospitals across the country have eliminated facility-based midwifery

practices simply because the low-intervention approach, while

clinically sound, does not bring in as many dollars.

- Tonya Jamois, president of ICAN

$13 to $20 billion a year could be saved in health care costs by
demedicalizing childbirth, developing midwifery, and encouraging
breastfeeding.
- Frank Oski, MD, Professor and Director,
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore,
MD

Mandola21
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:55 PM

My body can't handle trying to deliver an 11 lb baby, my first was emergency csec, my second was scheduled turned emergency in the operating room and this baby is being estimated at weighing 9-10lbs, I talked to the doctor about vbac and no he's not one of the normal csec doctors that just wants to get it over with, he thought about it and talked to me about his concerns and we decided repeat csec was just what is best for me and baby. Yes I was sad about no vaginal but I am happy to have 2 healthy children and another one to be born on tuesday.

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Anyways, apparently the c-section rate in the united states has gone up 53% since 1996, oh we should be so proud-NOT.

katiedidit02
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I had a tramatic c-section with my daughter after 20 hours of labor & 3 hours of pushing.  Than whith my son I chose to have a planned c-section and it went perfectly. I think it all depends on your situation. It is not funny and yes woman should be aware of what can happen. You never know how your L&D will go and how your body will react to a major syrgery.

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)