Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Room Darkening shades- PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM
  • 8 Replies

What do you use to keep your bedrooms dark?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
I'm a proud breastfeeding, circumcising for health reasons, baby wearing, anti-CIO, vaccinating, cloth diapering, cloth pad wearing, pro-life crunchy momma!
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Chrissy9479
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

my mom made me some curtains and theres this material that you can buy, she bought it at JoAnns, and its specifically for the back of curtains to keep the light out. i forgot what its called though!!!

edit* its roc-lon blackout!! i see no sunlight in my room at all! its great stuff!!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3217&PRODID=zprd_02117232a

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

wildsissy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I finally had to go to K-Mart and get the old school roll down shades for it to be dark enough in my room.  When we first moved in I had some honeycomb blinds that were very nice, but didn't block out the sun. 

zoeysmom331
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:03 PM

We got black shades at Ikea and we love them. We have them in our bedroom and our family room to keep the glare off the TV. They make the room almost completely black.

Caro82
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I use thermal black curtains (from Lowes or HomeDepot), they absorb light to 99,6% !

Tabitha21
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I bought plastic covers for the windows and taped them all the way down and then I put shades over that

Zhi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for all your replies! That Joann fabric is really inexpensive too! I might have to start sewing again :D

Chrissy9479
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM

it works great! but you need a special needle for it i think because it is kinda thick. i have a big window and we spent maybe $50 on everything to make them (curtain rod too)

Quoting Zhi:

Thanks for all your replies! That Joann fabric is really inexpensive too! I might have to start sewing again :D

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

wildsissy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I have a cousin that put car window tinting on his bedroom windows and then uses regular shades over them.. it cuts out the light actually really well.. BUT if you want the sun to shine in then you can't because the window tinting is stuck to the windows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)