Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A cyst in the brain at my 21 week ultrasound.....Trisomy 18?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM
  • 4 Replies

Ok so yesterday I went in for a level 2 ultrasound and they told me they found a cyst in her brain which is common in babies with trisomy 18. But my AFP test showed that I was not at risk of having a baby with this syndrome and the baby has no other abnormalities at all which babies with Trisomy 18 do. So the doctor said it was probably nothing to worry about that I should have another ultrasound in a couple weeks to see what it's doing. Then my OB called this morning and said she wants to see me ASAP to run some tests and see what's going on.....I"m so confused since one doctor said it was nothing but my OB is acting like it's a big deal! Anyone have any idea what I should do I'm so confused and stressed out cause I'm doing this all alone!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mom2manymonkeys
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I totally understand where you are comming from i did mine alone as well.I have been in your shoes...dont stress its not good for the baby and just look at it this way that baby is perfect to you no matter what is wrong and GOd wouldnt give you anything that you couldnt handle...if you need to talk im here...group hug

love741
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

With my son they told me that he had a cyst on his kidneys.  It resolved itself before birth.  My midwife explained to me that the ultrasounds are able to see almost to much these days, and very often it gives mommy a false reason to stress.  We had to wait until baby was born and they did test on him to make sure it was gone, because at a later ultrasound it was still there.  When i looked it up online i found its actually much  more common then you may think.  So my advice would be to just relax, and pray for the best, chances are it will dissolve....  good luck!

Allikat86
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM

At my 19 week ultrasound they found a cyst on each side of my sons brain...so he had 2. my doctor didnt seem concerned about it but did have me schedule another ultrasound a few weeks later. i went in again at 25 weeks and they cysts were gone. i did a lot of reading about these cysts and to have trisomy 18 there is usually some other kind of abnormality.

i think they are finding these cysts more often now because technology is getting better. even us adults get cysts in our brains every now and then. most are harmless. i cant tell you if that cyst is harmless or not but the chance of it being something bad is rare.

tampagrl0518
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:23 PM

the cyst is not what is the problem, its the fact that it was ever there that makes it a marker to look for anything else relating to trisomy 18. Almost every baby that has this cyst,(which is 1% of all babies) will have it disappear in utero whether or not they have t-18 or not.

Just felt I needed to say that..... But I am dying to know how things turned out at your follow up ultrasound or any other testing.....we just found a choroid plexus cyst in the baby's brain today and I am completely freaked out, my older son has down syndrome, and that I could handle, but not so sure about edward syndrome......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)