• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how early can they hear a heart beat?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM
  • 28 Replies

Does anyone know? I would like to have an ulrtrasound done because I have a weird feeling about this pregnancy (which I have never had before) but I didn't know if they would be able to find a heart beat or now. I am about 7-8 weeks (I am not 100% sure).

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KTLange
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I believe at around 6-8 weeks you can see the heart beat but not hear it.  I haven't had my US yet so I'm just going by word of mouth...can other mommies confirm this??  Here is a bump!

Pregnancy%20tickerLilypie Maternity tickers 

dimpz86
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM

By about 6 weeks most u/s can pick up a heartbeat.  You might not be able to hear it but you can see it.  I got my u/s done at 8w1d and I saw the little heart beating away and beating fast. =) Don't worry mama.

lilandy11
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM

They normally can't hear the heartbeat with a doppler until around 14 weeks. But with an ultrasound I think it is somewhere between 7 and 8 weeks or so.

mrsgardner10
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM

The earliest I was able to hear my daughter's heartbeat was 10wks....I'm also a heavier woman and I would assume that makes a difference. I know they can do an ultrasound and you can see the heartbeat. Good luck.....hope everything is ok!!!

Sparkey6987
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I saw mine on the U/S at 5w6d. 

BrittanyBea
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM

My bff saw hers at 6 weeks but couldnt hear it

YoRkIeMaMa2009
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I didn't HEAR the HB until I was 14 weeks but we could see it as early as 8 with all of ours

millinco
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM

They clearly saw the heartbeat on my 8 week US. 

CafeMom Tickers
jtbz
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I went in last week at 6wks 4days and we were able to see the heartbeat with an internal ultrasound :)

I was measuring on the equip however only 6wks and 1 day, so we couldnt hear it just quite yet... but you could see it VERY CLEARLY pumping away!

I think it depends on the sensitivity of your Dr's equip, but 8 weeks is usually the earliest to be able to hear one

Wishing2BMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM

You can see and hear it if it's internal.  I did at 6.5 wks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)