Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name question

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM
  • 4 Replies

Why do people act like it's a bad thing if give your baby the same name as a child that's in the family? Then they act like it's not a big deal if you give your baby the same name as an adult in the family. I'm not talking about the people you name your baby after- just the names you happen to like. What's the difference?

The name we are considering for our son just happens to be the name that two men in my family have. However, most people don't think it's a big deal if I use it. But it would be a big deal if a child had the name?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
palemoon21
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Don't know....maybe becuse it'd be easier to confuse the children instead of a baby and grown-up.

militarygirl83
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I wonder the same thing.   Bump!

My brother and his girlfriend wanted to give their baby my name...not name her after me just name her that because they like the name.  They ended up deciding against it because it seemed too weird.  I think they should of done it.

markswife03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Quoting militarygirl83:

I wonder the same thing.   Bump!

My brother and his girlfriend wanted to give their baby my name...not name her after me just name her that because they like the name.  They ended up deciding against it because it seemed too weird.  I think they should of done it.

In that case I think it would be weird. I don't think I could give my child the name of one of my siblings.

The name I want to use is the name of my cousin's husband and also my aunt's husband. I don't see them all the time, but it still seems a little funny to me. The only reason I think I may be able to get away with it is because it also happens to be my husband's middle name. That's not the reason I want to use it, but it's the excuse I'm going with if someone think it's weird that I couldn't think up my own name, lol.

Megara
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

My BFF is dead set against naming a child any name that is already used by one of the children at church.  For example, I told her I loved the name Brendan, but there is a 4 year old Brendan at church and she thinks it would be rude for me to use it.  I don't think it's an issue at all, seriously the kid will be alive for 80+ years, how much of that time will he spend at this particular church with this particular child?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)