Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preggo carpal tunnel - please help

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

it seems that i have developed carpal tunnel in my right hand. my fingers hurt so bad and nothing seems to help. has anyone had any success in relieving the symptoms? if i have 2 do this 4 another 8 weeks i am going to go nuts.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

This is what WebMD has to say about carpal tunnel syndrome non-surgical treatment:

"If your symptoms are not severe, expect your doctor to recommend nonsurgical treatment to see whether symptoms improve. Nonsurgical treatment includes:

• Evaluating any other medical problems that might contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome, and changing your treatment for those problems if necessary.
  • Changing or avoiding activities that may be causing symptoms, and taking frequent breaks from repetitive tasks.
  • Wearing a wrist splint to keep your wrist straight, usually just at night. See a picture of a wrist splint.
  • Using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. Although studies have not shown NSAIDs to be effective for carpal tunnel syndrome, they may help relieve your symptoms.
  • Learning ways to protect your joints as you go through your daily activities.

In some cases, oral corticosteroids or corticosteroid injections into the carpal tunnel may be considered if other methods to reduce inflammation are not successful."

Good luck!

3Xthelove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I have carpal tunnel outside of pregnancy.  Go get a brace with a metal splint in it--not just an ace bandage type.  Always wear that to bed.....even if your hand feels better.  On really bad days wear it out.  Sometimes I wrap with an ace bandage a bag of ice on it....its only temporary relief.  Good luck....I understand your pain.  Mine gets so bad....

Wishing2BMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I also use a brace.  they have them at Walmart, Rite aid... pretty much any pharmacy

CheyanneW
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I sleep with the braces on both wrists.  I just started wearing the right one during the day as well because it has gotten so bad that my fingers even go numb with the braces on. 

de09012006
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I find out that I have this when I was 7 weeks along.  I was given a brace and told to take tylenol. Right now I am only 10 weeks, so I have a long ways to go.

KiddRuby
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Thanks ladies, off to walgreens I go

christine.r2624
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM

have you tried a really good brace? that helped me when I had it in my last pregnancy....I  think I spent like $20 for one that pretty much imobilized my hand/wrist 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)