Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever been told this before?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

I had my first doc appointment today. I've gained 20 lbs since I had my son in January of '09. My doc told me NOT to gain any weight this pregnancy. She gave me ideas on how to eat healthier and told me to start walking, but I don't understand how I'm not suppose to gain weight with a growing baby inside me.

I'm also being tested for gestational diabetes in 2 weeks. I thought I wasn't suppose to do that test until 7 months, but the doc thinks I'm at risk for it.

Anyone else ever been told NOT to gain weight before?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
pregnancy calendar
Gender PredictionGet your own gender prediction!
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kamrynlily07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM

No... I am heavy to start with (about 200lbs) and my dr. didn't tell me that.  She said I should gain 25 lbs.

mrsniebo
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:03 PM

While I've heard that women that start off heavier are supposed to gain less weight during a pregnancy, I hadn't heard of not gaining weight during a pregnancy intentionally. Maybe the doctor is hoping this will be a way for you to lose weight while the baby can still grow in a healthy way through diet and exercise? Hopefully not putting on much if any weight will lessen your chance of gestational diabetes.

Wishing2BMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I had it at the end of 1st trimester or beginning of 2nd.   then again at 28 wks.   Passed both times.  It's really easy to watch what you eat.  I have lots of yummy fat free snacks if you need any ideas.  I've only gained 10 lbs. the entire pregnancy so far, and actually lost the 1st trimester.   Good Luck, You can do it. 

ready_for2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM

ive only heard of this in overweight people, i have heard of some actually LOSING weight bc they were eating healthier while they were pregnant then they normally do....

are you overweight??

AMZF812
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM

yeah

Quoting ready_for2:

ive only heard of this in overweight people, i have heard of some actually LOSING weight bc they were eating healthier while they were pregnant then they normally do....

are you overweight??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
pregnancy calendar
Gender PredictionGet your own gender prediction!
serenity1104
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I was also overweight when I got pregnant.  The doctor doesn't want me to gain any more than 20lbs throughout this pregnancy.  So far I've gained 8.  Good luck with the GD test, hope it comes out negative :)

CafeMom Tickers
ready_for2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

you could always get a second opinion also, just to check!

Quoting AMZF812:

yeah

Quoting ready_for2:

are you overweight??

MonroeLoves82
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

The only time I have heard that is in patients that are overweight or borderline obese. Before taking offense to that comment, most people who are overweight today are considered clinically obese and do not even know it. You would have to know your BMI compared to weight, ec.

TDausman
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

My dr. told me that at my first appt too. I was furious and cried for hours. I don't get it either. I then talked to the WIC nurse about it and she told me I should try not to gain more than 10-15 lbs.

millinco
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Heck no...I've gained 40 lbs already, and my doctor is just fine with it.  She told me she would get mad at me if I stopped gaining!  I was normal weight pre-pregnancy, and I know that makes a difference. 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)