Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breathing problems

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM
  • 12 Replies

It gets hard for me to breathe when I try to sleep at night. I end up being awake struggling to catch breath until 5 in the morning. This has been happening the past few days. Im missing out on sleep and I don't know whats going on. I can breathe fine in the day but only when im laying down trying to sleep do I have problems. Does anyone else have trouble breathing?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkadot80
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

i have trouble breathing but mine is b/c my baby is very high up and i also have extra amniotic fluid.  how far along are you?  i will be 31 weeks tomorrow

momma_2b_2010
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM

how far along are you?

if ur past 20 weeks and sleeping on ur back, [which ur not supposed to do after 20 wks] it can be hard to breath.

Wishing2BMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I do, but mine is during the day too.  But gets worse if I lay down.  I also have asthma.  Try sleeping elevated a little.  It helps me sometimes.

augustmommy951
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM

try propping yourself up on lots of pillows or sleeping in a recliner.

babysyoungmom1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

What is 20 wks, sorry I just know the months lol. I do sleep on my back (Try to) I can sleep on my stomach,side,and front and its all the same thing. But I lay on my back for hours until I fall asleep should I just start off by laying another way first? I move around alot to get comfertable

MelzyD
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I agree with momma_2b_2010, I was wondering what position you are sleeping in also.  Sleeping on your back won't hurt the baby, but it can cause problems for you. Try sleeping on your left side and use pillows to keep yourself in that position if you have trouble.  It should help. 

Excited2BeMom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM

My doctor told me that the further along you are, the baby pushes more and more up against your lungs, by the time the baby is ready to be born you've lost a 1/3rd of your lung capacity. Also when you become pregnant your heart and lungs have to work harder. So on top of loosing that 3rd, your lungs are under more stress. Have you tried proping yourself up with a couple pillows? Thats what I do...

babysyoungmom1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Quoting Excited2BeMom:

My doctor told me that the further along you are, the baby pushes more and more up against your lungs, by the time the baby is ready to be born you've lost a 1/3rd of your lung capacity. Also when you become pregnant your heart and lungs have to work harder. So on top of loosing that 3rd, your lungs are under more stress. Have you tried proping yourself up with a couple pillows? Thats what I do...

I guess I have to buy more pillows, Theres only one for me and one for my daughter.

happyVTmommy20
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM

How far along are you and are you asthmatic? I've had bad breathing problems since I became pregnant, mostly when I lay down. It got to the point that I had to keep my inhaler under my pillow since so I can get to it the moment I need to. Breathing does get harder when you are pregnant but recently I have found that I need 2-3 pillows, instead of my normal 1 pillow. It has helped a lot and often when I first lay down, I can only lay on my right side for the first 10-20 minutes then after that time I can move to another side.  It doesn't hurt to give your doctor a call but sometimes you need to sleep practically sitting up. It's only going to get worse as you get further along, trust me. I'm now 27 weeks and not only do I have to worry about my asthma when first laying down but I now deal with acid reflux and get plain 'ole getting into a comfortable position. I hope it gets better for you!

MikeysMom51108
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I have breathing problems too. Mine are more during the day though...

At night, try propping yourself up. Also, try Vicks Vapor Rub. I use it at night, and it really helps. And, my OB said it's safe to use during pregnancy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)