Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone given birth at home- or a whoopsie birth ?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM
  • 28 Replies

i am giving it seriouse concideration to having a whoopsie birth- u know the kind of birth where im in labor and i wait it out and b4 i know it whoopsie call 911 cause the baby is crowning type a thing-

i plan on laboring at home at long as i can and problaly soaking in the tub too-

just wondering how everyone enjoyed there home births vs a hosital birth.

ive only had hospital births and they were not too too bad- its just this is my last baby and i think i wanna do something different.

btw husband has noo idea this is what i want to do. might be a whoopsie for him too-

CafeMom TickersGlitter GraphicsGlitter GraphicsGlitter Graphics

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttaylor1998
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I had a planned, home water birth. =)    Would do it again in a second!

SillyJessi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I would say go for it.  I had one of those.  However I *did* plan it and my husband was in on the secret.  So we didn't have midwives or a bunch of relatives over.  Alot of people thought it just happened too fast - namely those in charge of filing the birth certificate!! ;)

I LOVED laboring at home, and I REALLY LOVED birthing at home.  After one hospital experience that was just boo, and one wonderfully peaceful home birth, better believe I'm doing it that way again.

Ati_13
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I had a hospital birth with my daughter and I'm planning a homebirth this time.  I wanted a homebirth for my first but circumstances just wouldn't work out that way :( 

Anyway, I do think that your hubby should be in on the secret.  It would suck to have him panicking while you're pushing out your baby.  Plus ambulance rides and emergency room visits are EXPENSIVE.  If you're gonna do it at home, just plan it that way and be prepared :)

Megara
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Is there a reason you would rather do that than plan a homebirth?  I had my daughter in a birthing center with a midwife (sort of a home-away-from-homebirth), but I was born at home, completely planned.  My mom was a midwife and she had all of her kids at home.

sandraberke
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:37 PM

husband thinks its gross to ahve a baby at home, all that blood and what not.  . . but i kinda want one which is why i was thinking of a whoopsie birth : /

terrible of me i know. but like i said this is my last one! and i thought it might be sweet to do it with my kids around-

i dont think i can have a midwife dr tho too many health issues on my part -none of them around here would take me on as a patient. ie, hypothyroidism, pre term labor and yada -

Megara
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM

You probably can find a midwife who will take you.  If your DH is not comfortable with a homebirth, maybe you can compromise with a birthing center.

I am only throwing out other options because a homebirth or birthing center birth is vastly different from a hospital birth.  I know my mom completely discourages women from going unassisted for their first out-of-hospital birth.

Call around in your area, like I said I bet a midwife will take you, either at home or at a birth center.

Quoting sandraberke:

husband thinks its gross to ahve a baby at home, all that blood and what not.  . . but i kinda want one which is why i was thinking of a whoopsie birth : /

terrible of me i know. but like i said this is my last one! and i thought it might be sweet to do it with my kids around-

i dont think i can have a midwife dr tho too many health issues on my part -none of them around here would take me on as a patient. ie, hypothyroidism, pre term labor and yada -

ladyjones76
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

you know that sounds like a great plan as i have my children i find it very uncomfortable to be in labor at a hospital they make you feel so uncomfortable and the docters these days like to joke to much

SillyJessi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM

For the ease of cleaning up, have the following in your hall closet:

* vinyl shower curtain (air it out for a few days outside if it's new, cause they reek!!)
* about 5 thrift store bath towels, or rag towels washed and dried on hot, folded and bagged in a trash bag
* about 5 washcloths of the same
* 2 sheets, I had a red one and dark brown one lol

I labored mostly in the bathroom.  I had thrown down a bunch of towels on the floor, I had a bedpan (not kidney sized, but regular sized big one) that I could squat over if I felt like it was going to be "messy"...  It never really proved useful, but was nice to have on hand anyways. 

I labored in the tub, over the toilet, and on top of the towels.  You *could* put the shower curtain under the towels, but the thought never actually occured.

When it comes to breaking water, there's really no telling when it could happen.  Fortunately with mine it happened over the toilet!  :P

Anyways, there was really not any blood right up till the birth.  I tore a teeny little, and that caused some bleeding but really, a dab of washcloth took care of that.

After the birth we rinsed off a little in the shower.  Hubby wrapped me and baby in a towel, and then put towels on the floor to the bedroom (I think he used 2, as I would walk over one he would move it in front of me).  He spread the shower curtain (which was fresh and clean) over the bed, and put my red sheet on top of that.  Me and baby got in the bed, on the red sheet, and that's where the placenta came out.  THATs the only time there was really much blood, and then it wasn't too bad.  After about 2 or 3 hours we cut the cord and put the placenta in the bedpan thing.  Then he brought me a clean brown sheet and changed it for the red one.  My friend came over and she put on a pair of gloves and put all 4 towels and one sheet in the washer (one towel was still clean and I was now sitting on top of it on the brown sheet).  Start a wash on hot with some detergent, and DONE.  Clean up's a breeze.  Oh I did go and spray the toilet and side of the tub with some vinegar-water spray and wipe it down the next time I went pee.  THAT was the end of clean up.  (we actually threw away the shower curtain, it ended up being put in a garbage bag after a few hours when I was cleaned up and baby was in a diaper, and I was in undies with a pad).  I was able to sleep on the brown sheet, we put a waterproof crib liner under the baby with a soft recieving blanket on top for our first nights' sleep.

It really wasn't like, out of control body fluids every where.

Some folks use those puppy pads, I've heard they're GREAT and totally disposable.  However in my house we don't really use disposable anything, not even paper towels so I didn't think of that till just now.  But yeah that would totally make clean up a breeze, just wad it all up and toss it. 

So revised list:

* pack of puppy pads
* roll of paper towels
* same shower curtain
* large garbage bag
* 2 sheets, one to toss one to keep (or both toss if you really want)

sandraberke
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Quoting SillyJessi:

For the ease of cleaning up, have the following in your hall closet:

* vinyl shower curtain (air it out for a few days outside if it's new, cause they reek!!)
* about 5 thrift store bath towels, or rag towels washed and dried on hot, folded and bagged in a trash bag
* about 5 washcloths of the same
* 2 sheets, I had a red one and dark brown one lol

I labored mostly in the bathroom.  I had thrown down a bunch of towels on the floor, I had a bedpan (not kidney sized, but regular sized big one) that I could squat over if I felt like it was going to be "messy"...  It never really proved useful, but was nice to have on hand anyways. 

I labored in the tub, over the toilet, and on top of the towels.  You *could* put the shower curtain under the towels, but the thought never actually occured.

When it comes to breaking water, there's really no telling when it could happen.  Fortunately with mine it happened over the toilet!  :P

Anyways, there was really not any blood right up till the birth.  I tore a teeny little, and that caused some bleeding but really, a dab of washcloth took care of that.

After the birth we rinsed off a little in the shower.  Hubby wrapped me and baby in a towel, and then put towels on the floor to the bedroom (I think he used 2, as I would walk over one he would move it in front of me).  He spread the shower curtain (which was fresh and clean) over the bed, and put my red sheet on top of that.  Me and baby got in the bed, on the red sheet, and that's where the placenta came out.  THATs the only time there was really much blood, and then it wasn't too bad.  After about 2 or 3 hours we cut the cord and put the placenta in the bedpan thing.  Then he brought me a clean brown sheet and changed it for the red one.  My friend came over and she put on a pair of gloves and put all 4 towels and one sheet in the washer (one towel was still clean and I was now sitting on top of it on the brown sheet).  Start a wash on hot with some detergent, and DONE.  Clean up's a breeze.  Oh I did go and spray the toilet and side of the tub with some vinegar-water spray and wipe it down the next time I went pee.  THAT was the end of clean up.  (we actually threw away the shower curtain, it ended up being put in a garbage bag after a few hours when I was cleaned up and baby was in a diaper, and I was in undies with a pad).  I was able to sleep on the brown sheet, we put a waterproof crib liner under the baby with a soft recieving blanket on top for our first nights' sleep.

It really wasn't like, out of control body fluids every where.

Some folks use those puppy pads, I've heard they're GREAT and totally disposable.  However in my house we don't really use disposable anything, not even paper towels so I didn't think of that till just now.  But yeah that would totally make clean up a breeze, just wad it all up and toss it. 

So revised list:

* pack of puppy pads
* roll of paper towels
* same shower curtain
* large garbage bag
* 2 sheets, one to toss one to keep (or both toss if you really want)

wow that [pretty much sums it up!

but how do i get dh on board with this? i know he doesnt do well with blood and what not. but he would be the one to deliver it if i were to have a whoopsie birth- lol.

CafeMom TickersGlitter GraphicsGlitter GraphicsGlitter Graphics

MaryLouLvsChris
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I had my son at home but it was not suppose to be. My hubby was at wk and the bby was a month early so of course he didn't expect it. I woke up at 3:59 am while my hubby was at wk and had contractions they weren't too strong at first but I knew I had to get to the hospital because i had tons of pressure down there. Well I called him (his wk is only 5 mmins from our place) and he didn't answer so I called my mom who lives bout 20 minutes away. But it felt like forever and she still wasn't there I had painful contractions by then but didnt want to wake my other kids who were 3 n 2 yrs old.  Well I finally called ems and i delivered him at 4:14 am 15 minutes within waking up! my mom got there about a min after ems so i wouldnt of made it anyway. It was way less painful then my other kids and i had them in a hospital i couldn't even bare the pain with them. So I delivered him myself(: Great story to tell him later...lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)