Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

BAD swelling and excruciating pain in my hands?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 3:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

I've been having bad swelling in my hands...to the point where it's given me carpal tunnel syndrome. But the past few nights I have woken up almost in tears because my right hand is swollen so bad that it hurts all the way up to my shoulder. Tylenol doesn't help and neither does ice. So needless to say i've been up all night because my hand hurts that bad.

Does anyone else get this? I have my doc appt tomorow (well, today Wednesday) and am going to talk to my doc about this bc it REALLY hurts. I only have 2 1/2 more weeks to go so hopefully this swelling will go away after that!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 3:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katzmeow726
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Ugh, this is one of those times I wish pregnant women could take Ibuprofen.  With swelling and the carpel tunnel like syndroms, it won't work.  Your pain is coming from inflamation!  Try soaking your hands in some cool or cold water.  Warm will only worsen the swelling, and thus the pain.  Have your DH/So massage them for you too, this may help.  Try to avoid a lot of repetitive motion and time on the computer if you can, this may also alleviate some of the pain.

onlyjamesgirl
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 5:43 AM

My fiance made me some ice packs last night but they didn't help.

And I wish I could minimize my time on the computer....my job is Data Entry! haha

mvines1021
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 6:44 AM

i dont have it that bad...but my hands and feet are really swollen  and it hurts at the joints when i bend my fingers!  and when i stand up after sitting for a while my whole body hurts and thats when my feet hurt the worst!!  feel better! :)

bashishot
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Isn't swelling that bad a sign of pre-eclampsia? I'm not sure how that works, but I always thought if you started to have really bad swelling, to call your doctor. I hope it gets better!

danielle9705
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 7:34 AM

I would definately say something to your doc.....i also thought that severe swelling of the hands was a sign of pre-eclampsia.   Hope all goes well! Good luck

onlyjamesgirl
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 7:48 AM

yeah but my midwife said that it was carpal tunnel syndrome and when i googled it earlier this morning (pregnancy and carpal tunnel syndrome) all the symptoms were what i was feeling...

my hands all the way up to my shoulders feel like i had surgery and the pain meds aren't working...it's that firery burning feeling...and everything was just so swollen. i'm going to call my doc's office in a bit and see if i can get my appointment moved up today. i'm still in A LOT of pain and i'm at work where I'm about to have to type for hours on end.

onlyjamesgirl
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Oh my gosh, now i'm concerned! I just googled pre-eclampsia and i have those symptoms too! The pain in the right side under my ribs and in my right shoulder, nausea, and seeing spots...it's like little lights of spots if that makes any sense...it's weird. BUT I don't have the high blood pressure or anything. We'll see what they say. now I'm worried....

mommaofeli86
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:13 AM

i am 40 weeks pregnant (was due on Monday!!) but i get that in my left leg only it starts with my toes all the way up to my knee and it gets so big its crazy looking and at night it gets so painful and nothing seems to help i talk to my doc and they said it was Edema (hope i spelled that right) basically bad circulation because of the way the baby is laying i don't know if that would effect your upper body too but just for thoughts i hope you start to feel better!

onlyjamesgirl
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM

thanks, i'm going to call them in a few minutes. it hurts so bad!

onlyjamesgirl
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 9:36 AM

bump...just want to know if anyone else has experienced this kind of pain! :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN