Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

~UPDATE~ HELP...Ultrasound trouble...Do you think my baby is OK?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 5:17 AM
  • 41 Replies

Had our first appointment yesterday at 9 weeks 5 days. The doctor thought my uterus felt large so wanted to do an u/s. She had trouble finding a good picture of the baby and called in another doctor who had even less luck. She thought maybe technical problems??? She kept focusing on a little been but says the baby was measuring more like 6/7 weeksand we never saw a heart beat. She said not to panic to come back in a week for another ultrsound and we'll see if there is a change. She did check my blood levels and they are around 35,000 and she said "Honestly I should be able to see more on the ultrasound at those levels but I've had patients come back a week later and things be completely normal".  I have been so confident and not really worried much with this pregnancy. I thought things were going so well and was completely shocked by this. I had a M/C in 2003 but had a perfect pregnancy in 2008 and have a wonderful son now so maybe was just over confident. Have any of you experienced this? Do you think there is any chance things may still be  OK?

Well here is my update...went for second ultrasound and the baby was easier to find but still measuring at 7w4d and still no heartbeat I should be at 10w5d. Doc says she's sure it's over but if I want I can wait one week for my body to do what it should and if not I'll have my third scan next tuesday and then decide on inducing labor or D/C. So that is where we are. I wish my body would just take over but I'm sure next tuesday I'll have to decide for myself what is next. Anyone had to be induced to miscarry? I think that will be my choice but what should I expect. With my first M/C 6 years ago I eventually passed but had to have a D/C to get the rest. I don't want to have to do that again. Thanks to you all for your care and concern.  ~Darlah~  

~UPDATE~4/19/2010

Well I had my M/C on Saturday and after a weekend of reflection I am ready for my body to heal and get back to normal so that we can try again soon. Any stories of TTC after a MMC would be appreciated. Thanks girls for being here.... 

by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 5:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelzyD
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM

are you certain of how far along you are?  When you said "a good picture of the baby" what did you  mean? If they were able to see the baby at all, I think that would be a good picture. Were they able to the the pregnancy sac and the yolk (sp?) sac?  I wouldn't worry just yet.  Go back in a couple of weeks and maybe you just weren't as far along as you thought you were.  Good Luck!

danielle9705
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I wouldn't worry just yet. its possible you aren't as far along as you thought.  When i went to my first ultrasound I thought I was closer to 9 weeks pregnant, but I was only 6 weeks and 6 days prego.  the doc had a hard time getting a good pic of my baby as well.  but it was because of how small the baby was and where he/she was positioned in my uterus.  go back in a few weeks and they will probably be able to see the baby better.  Good luck!!

CafeMom Tickers
wildsissy
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:15 AM

was this a regular ultrasound done on your belly or a transvag done internally?

Darlah
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Quoting MelzyD:

are you certain of how far along you are?  When you said "a good picture of the baby" what did you  mean? If they were able to see the baby at all, I think that would be a good picture. Were they able to the the pregnancy sac and the yolk (sp?) sac?  I wouldn't worry just yet.  Go back in a couple of weeks and maybe you just weren't as far along as you thought you were.  Good Luck!

Well they found the sac easy enough but had to push around to find the baby and she did measure the baby and so she had to have that to go on. I've been reading about tilted uterus problems and am hoping she is just having trouble because of this. I could be off on dates I guess but my LMP was 1/28 and got a positive HPT on 2/24 so shouldn't be off by much. Thanks for for the LUCK I'm keeping my hopes up for now!

ccouch24
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I am not really sure but more concerned that they couldn't get a heartbeat. I sure hope things are okay momma..HUGS

MikeysMom51108
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. That would definitely make a difference. At 9 weeks, it might be hard to see much with a regular u/s, but you could see quite a bit with a transvaginal.

Quoting wildsissy:

Darlah
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Quoting wildsissy:

Both when she had trouble with the transvag one she did an external and actually could see more,which is weird...they tried a couple of different times and the other doctor too. Just seemed like crappy equipement or something but maybe I'm looking for excuses.

SapphireMomma
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:22 AM

First off, congrats!

I'm sure that you just slightly miscalculated your due date...or that you could have the same thing as me.  When I went for my first u/s they told me I was a week behind what I thought. (I believed I was 8 weeks, but the baby was 7)  They set up a due date according to that and now I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead.  (LO doesn't want to make up it's mind. :) ) 

As for the heartbeat...try to relax.  Sometimes it can be harder to find.  Are you going back next week for another u/s?  If so, I'm sure they will find it at that appointment.

Good luck, but it sounds like you might not need it! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

There's not one day that doesn't go back that mommy and daddy aren't thinking about you munchkin.  We love you ~~Gone but never forgotten:  7/7/09~~Proud to be my Redneck's woman. 
maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Hmm.. if your like me my placenta is in the FRONT which causes picture problems.. No other issues just horrible pictures lol.. I just learned that last appointment.. but in the beginning we had all Transvaginal ones i could see the little bean, it was just so tiny that it could have been missed?

Darlah
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Oh and I'm really kicking myself beacause we never really discussed the heartbeat part...I didn't say "so shouldn't we see a heartbeat?" and she never said..."no heartbeat". It was more of a measurement problem and not being able to focus in on anything.....UGH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)