Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it possible to sleep during labor

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM
  • 28 Replies

I am getting an epidural. My induction starts in 5 1/2 hours and I can't sleep. I am freaking out because I can't sleep and I have no idea how I will do this so exhausted.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jillian_Alexis
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I was induced with all 3 of mine.....I slept through all!

ready_for2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM

i couldnt, i was more tired than i had ever been, but still could not sleep. it was so annoying and sucked so bad. by the time my son came, i didnt even know if i would have enough energy to push!

but i had been in labor for 14 hours (up for almost 24) WITH NO FOOD and only clear liquids to drink.... so i think that had a big part of it right there. its so stupid when they wont let you eat

yummy_mommy89
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM

if you get an epi yes. if not im not sure lol

doulala
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Yes, this is one reason women get the epi.       ;-)

jennifer588
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:21 AM

after i got my epidural i was asleep in about half an hour. but i was so relaxed that it almost stopped my labor

Mommynwife26
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Thats why my dr made me get an epi after 20hrs of hard labor so I could get some sleep so I could push my kiddo out lol otherwise it woulda been a cesection! It was the best 4hrs of sleep I got!

Austinsmommy126
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM

I slept when i got induced :)

Army_Wife41
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Not for me. I have delivered with an epidural and without....didn't matter. I never slept.

doulala
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I did sleep during my natural waterbirth *while pushing* !    lol

( I have seen others do this, too. )

It is pretty amazing that the body literally shuts down, I guess to reserve energy.

But it was very strange to suddenly wake up (every couple of minutes, lol) in a pool, naked, at the birth center to a pushing contraction!    I actually went to sleep, completely forgetting where I was and everything!!

:-o

lol

mommy2xp
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM

With an epidural yes. I did for a while with my first. My third I slept through almost all of my labor before waking up and realizing why I kept waking up and going back to sleep

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)