Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playtex vs Medela

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:31 AM
  • 17 Replies

I really want a good pump... and this will be my first time breastfeeding.  I want something that has good suction and isn't too slow.  THere's a huge price difference between the two brands, and I'm wondering if that reflects how the product works.  I know many have used medela, but has anyone used playtex?

Here's the link for both:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playtex-Embrace-Double-Electric-Breast-Pump-BPA-Free/11091118

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2901995

pregnancy

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2xp
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I have not tried the playtex. But I do know that Medela is worth the price. I have used mine for 2.5 years (combined 3 kids)

mommyofwilliam
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I LOVE my Pump In Style (Medela).

Army_Wife41
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:37 AM

BUMP!

I'd like to know too. I need to invest in a good one. But am very nervous to get one that I dislike...they are so freaking expensive :-\

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Silvia1011
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:37 AM

does the medela storage stuff work with other bottles?  I plan on using Playtex drop-ins.  Would I just pour the breastmilk in the bottle as needed?  Sorry if that sounds dumb, I've never done anything with breastfeeding :P

SpecialK651989
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM

I wasted my time (and MONEY$$$$) buying several other pumps that were not Medela. I finally got a Medela Swing which I think was 150.00 and I would never go back to any of the other brands. Ameda had a good manual pump that I had too. Good luck! The things that I like about Medela and Ameda are that they can be customized to work for you(like, for instance you can get a smaller or larger...I can't think of the name, but the thing that you actually hold to your breast depending on your breast/nipple size)...unlike a lot of the other companies.

Silvia1011
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Is the swing an electric pump?

Quoting SpecialK651989:

I wasted my time (and MONEY$$$$) buying several other pumps that were not Medela. I finally got a Medela Swing which I think was 150.00 and I would never go back to any of the other brands. Ameda had a good manual pump that I had too. Good luck! The things that I like about Medela and Ameda are that they can be customized to work for you(like, for instance you can get a smaller or larger...I can't think of the name, but the thing that you actually hold to your breast depending on your breast/nipple size)...unlike a lot of the other companies.

pregnancy

Misery_Stitches
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Yes, its a single electric so you can only do one side at a time. I have one and love it, it works great but I will be going back to work full time and have just bought myself the pump in style to cut my pumping time in half.

If you are only going to pump every now and then, then the medela swing is fine.

Quoting Silvia1011:

Is the swing an electric pump?

Quoting SpecialK651989:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
wildsissy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I am having the same issue.. with my first son 16 years ago we rented a hospital grade pump.  Now they are $3 per day to rent and I'll need one for probably a year.  I can't spend that kind of money when I can just buy one of my own.   I had to register for the playtex brand because there is no way that anyone will ever buy me the medela one I want that is $300!!  I read the playtex reviews and it looks to be a pretty good pump.  But like a few other posters said, they won't buy anything unless it's Medela.

Silvia1011
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Quoting wildsissy:

I am having the same issue.. with my first son 16 years ago we rented a hospital grade pump.  Now they are $3 per day to rent and I'll need one for probably a year.  I can't spend that kind of money when I can just buy one of my own.   I had to register for the playtex brand because there is no way that anyone will ever buy me the medela one I want that is $300!!  I read the playtex reviews and it looks to be a pretty good pump.  But like a few other posters said, they won't buy anything unless it's Medela.

I found reviews on both brands on several different websites, and they both generally have 4 stars with pros and cons to each.  I can't afford a medela and no one is going to buy me a $300 pump :P  SO I registered for the Playtex one.  The reviews are comparable, and I even found a website where the reviews on the medela were worse.  So I don't know... this is the one I'm going with for now.

pregnancy

starrymonkey
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Bump 'cause I'm not able to breastfeed.  But I had the playtex with DS - and it was comfortable when I tried to use it.  I just don't produce milk, so I gave to my sister, who loves it!

CafeMom Tickers

Proud mom to a Sensational kid with SPD

As a WAHM, I can help you change your physical and financial future!  Ask me how!

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/desireepurvis/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)