Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preeclampsia signs?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

This is my second pregnancy, but I feel almost like its my first. Everything is different this time around. I was wondering if anyone else has had preeclampsia and how they were diagnosed with it? Yesterday my feet and ankles swelled up and I've had a headache off and on the past few days now. Normally I wouldnt be really alarmed with this but with my first pregnancy I was never diagnosed with preeclampsia, but had all the signs of it by the time I was in labor and had major complications postpartum.  My next appt is next week, so what should I be looking for?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jordansmom810
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about swelling in the feet and ankles.. But if your face and hands swell then I would call the doctor.. Also a persistant headache that is almost intolerable could be something too, for the most part headaches are normal.. I have had all the signs of preeclamsia but protien in the urine.. they sent me to a nuroligist who talked to me about my headaches...  Although not everone is the same... it could be different for you.. How far along are you?

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I have never had it before, but here is a bump.

tashangel31
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM

protien in urine, high blood pressure are the 2 top signs. swelling and alot of weight gain in a short period of time. They usally do a 24 hour urine collection to check for large amount of protien. A headache that wont go away is b/c of bp going up. and seeing spots in your eyes!!! there are more signs but these are the biggest ones.  

swelling occurs with most pregnancys in the 3rd trimester!

JOEJULA
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I had pre eclampsia for all my three pregnancies and you have high blood pressure. So go get your blood pressure chekced at a strore or EMS station and just say that you want to check it.

cmfarm
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Swelling and headaches can be a sign but they are also normal pregnancy things too. With Pre-eclampsia I think you need to worry more about swelling in your hands and face. When I had it with my first the first sign was weight gain and swelling in my face. I didn't notice the swelling until later though (it can be hard to tell when you look at yourself everyday) It wasn't untill later that I had hig BP and protein.

Faithers
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Im 31 weeks today. With DS my doctor at the time said I had protien in my urine for most of the pregnancy but to them it wasnt a problem. I didnt have any other signs of preecmapsia until I went into labor. (blood pressure spiked up and I swelled up HUGE!) I've already been diagnosed with GD and I'm just worried about other problems that may come up.

Thanks ladies

katznkt
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM

To be diagnostic for PE you need two separate reedings of 140/80 a couple hours apart AND a 24 hour urine with 300 protein count.

With my first I had PE, but it didn't get bad until delivery at 39 weeks. With my second I was induced early and just had high bp during my pregnancy.

Usually swelling isn't a problem unless you have it bad and in your hands and face as well. A good test is if you put your feet up and the swelling doesn't go down after a few hours. And if the headache won't go away even with meds. What is your bpressure.

A great resource is www.preeclampsia.org . They have a forum to ask tons of questions. They were really useful during my past pregnancy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)