Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

birth plan...

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM
  • 6 Replies

How many of you created a birth plan only to have it completely ignored? How many of you had good experiences with your birth plan?

We are planning on giving birth at a birth center. They want me to have a birth plan, but honestly what more can I really ask for besides... Respect, dignity, support to birth naturally with minimal routine interventions and no unnecessary separation from the baby. If I get to specific about things isn't there more chance that the important things will slide by?

pregnancy

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
K.a.C.87
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM

it helps to read other peoples. i didnt do one. there are also templates on line if i remember right, not sure what those all include thou

Aus
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Well I know that if I want to do a detailed birth plan that my doula will help me with it... I'm just wondering if theres any point in it. Trying to make things set in stone, birth doesn't work like that.

Quoting K.a.C.87:

it helps to read other peoples. i didnt do one. there are also templates on line if i remember right, not sure what those all include thou

pregnancy

Megara
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I had my daughter at a birth center, and I did not make a birth plan, because everything I would ask for was routine with my midwife.  I had a natural birth - no medication, no interventions, I walked as much as I wanted, labored in the tub for a while (I could have given birth in the tub but I didn't want to), no episiotomy, my DH touched Katherine's head as soon as she crowned, he also caught her and cut the cord (we delayed clamping until it had stopped pulsing).  She was immediately put on my chest and we were encouraged to nurse right away.  I can't think of anything I would have wanted differently, and I can't think of anything I will change for this baby.

Edit:  There is one thing I had to request.  They still had to comply with the law and administer Vit. K and antibiotic eye drops unless the mother refused and signed a waiver, which I did.  I came back in three days and they did the PKU blood draw, and in FL it is the law to run HIV on the baby at the same time, so I had to sign a waiver to refuse that one, too.

Ammie25
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM

My first was born 13 weeks early. I had 2 appts and an ultrasound before birth, then a 2 month stay in the NICU after birth. I planned nothing with him cuz I didn't have the chance! All I asked throughout this pregnancy is that she stays in the oven as long as needed, and comes out strong and healthy.

My doc suggested I make a birth plan this time around, and just to keep in mind that when push comes to shove (ha ha, no pun intended), I may have to be flexible.

I realize now that I literally remember the back labor I had with my son, as worse than the actual contractions. Even now, laying on my back for just a few minutes is very uncomfortable. So I think I will do a simple birth plan having to do with staying comfortable, and not having to stay on my back too long, until it's absolutely necessary.

Aus
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Thats pretty much the way I feel. The birth center I go to already does all the stuff I would be fighting for at a hospitol. Actually before I transfered to the birth center I was asking my doctor questions about having a completely natural birth and she simply recommended that I look into transfering to the birth center. I won't be getting the eye ointment or vitamin k done either.

Quoting Megara:

I had my daughter at a birth center, and I did not make a birth plan, because everything I would ask for was routine with my midwife.  I had a natural birth - no medication, no interventions, I walked as much as I wanted, labored in the tub for a while (I could have given birth in the tub but I didn't want to), no episiotomy, my DH touched Katherine's head as soon as she crowned, he also caught her and cut the cord (we delayed clamping until it had stopped pulsing).  She was immediately put on my chest and we were encouraged to nurse right away.  I can't think of anything I would have wanted differently, and I can't think of anything I will change for this baby.

Edit:  There is one thing I had to request.  They still had to comply with the law and administer Vit. K and antibiotic eye drops unless the mother refused and signed a waiver, which I did.  I came back in three days and they did the PKU blood draw, and in FL it is the law to run HIV on the baby at the same time, so I had to sign a waiver to refuse that one, too.

pregnancy

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I have never created a birth plan which I gave to the nurses and such, but my doula, husband and midwife all knew of my hopes and wishes for the birth.  My midwife would put certain things in my prenatal records.  Also, with my first baby, I did quickly write up a small list of items which my husband could refer to in case he had a brain freeze or something.  It was almost like a cheat sheet for him.  :)  However, when I was in labor, I was able to voice my opinions and wishes too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)