Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

39 week appointment

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

So i went to my 39 week appointment today. i had my fingers crossed that i made some progress. ive been dilated at 1cm since 37 weeks. so i go in to the doctors and he checks me. surprise surpise. im still freakin 1cm and my cervix is still pretty thick. he tells me to not get discouraged. but its so hard not to. this is my first baby. and im so ready to meet her. im also so ready to not be pregnant anymore. so anyhow, the dr schuedled me to get gel done on tuesday (2 days past my due date) and this just sucks really bad. im just in need of some pick me ups from other mommas. and also. i would like to know how the gel works. and does it hurt. and what are the chances of it inducing labor. who all has had gel done and has it induced your labor. i need some kind of encourgement :(

its a girl

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momto1ryen
by Lindsey on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Don't get upset momma. You could go into full blown labor tonight for all you know. There are woman who are 3-4cm dialated at 40 weeks and have been for a while. It really means nothing. Try to hang in there and don't get too upset!

mommy2xp
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Try not to get upset! I know it's hard I went over my due date with two of my three. You can go into labor at any time even if you are only 1cm now. You could start having contractions right now and start progressing. I found going for a walk helped. I knew I was doing something to get baby lower and gettin gsome exercise.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM

If we are talking about the same gel, the gel helps get the cervix ready for laboring.  I have never had it done, but I dont believe it hurts.  But, please don't get discouraged!  I remember with my first baby I had an appointment that week and she thought I wasn't going to go anytime too soon.  Sure enough, my water broke that week, and everything came along well with the labor.  Hugs!!!

Ati_13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM

This is why vaginal exams in late pregnancy are pointless.  Because mom gets discouraged and really, they tell you NOTHING about when labor will start.  You could be in labor in 5 minutes, or you could have been dilated to 4 today and still not have this baby for another 3 weeks.

Relax.  Take a bath with some lavender scented something in it.  Get a massage, take a walk, eat something totally sinful and have a romantic night with your SO.  Sex is great for readying the cervix and for perineal massage, AND for making you feel good and connected with your partner and your body.  Just try to remember that this baby will come when she is ready.  I know it's so hard, but she will never be easier to take care of than she is right now!  Get some rest and take it easy and don't stress yourself out so much :)

2inblue
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I was induced with all 3 and once had my membranes stripped, never heard of the gel.  Good luck though and I hope you have her soon.  Its the best thing in life and no matter how many children you have, you will want them to hurry up and get here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)