Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using ammonia to clean during pregnancy

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM
  • 4 Replies

I usually use ammonia in my carpet steamer to clean my carpets. Is this safe during pregnancy? I am in my first trimester, first pregnancy.

~ Kiki ~

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I wouldn't think it is but I'm not sure.. I have problems breathing w/strong scents so I don't use it..

sissychristi
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM

i personally stay away from all chemical cleaners while pregnant. i'm not sure if it is safe or not. i think it would be okay if you are in a well ventilated area but am not completely sure.

mommy2xp
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I think it's kinda like most other cleaners. Keep windows open fans going and you should be ok.

Quoting sissychristi:

i personally stay away from all chemical cleaners while pregnant. i'm not sure if it is safe or not. i think it would be okay if you are in a well ventilated area but am not completely sure.

cjsix
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Don't use ammonia when cleaning ...it very bad to breath the fumes,they can damage your lungs.I have started using pure white vinegar in place of the cleaning solution in my steam cleaner...just fill to the line shown for cleaner and add the water to the proper line...works wonders! My rugs and carpet are cleaner than ever! Plus,though vinegar doesn't smell the greatest(it's better and safer than ammonia) it also is a natural deodorizer so as the rugs dry the odors that may be in the rug and room will be gone too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)