Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctor wants to induce at 40.1 weeks?!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM
  • 25 Replies

He will ONLY let me go ONE DAY 'overdue'??? Is this COMMON? I had a HORRID induction with my daughter & do NOT want that again! He said his reasoning is because he gets worried about the placenta!? Isnt there tests they can do to see if its still doing its job? When my Mom was pregnant with ME, she went over 3 weeks!!!!! I dont want to fight him about this!!!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaKalila
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Yeah there's a test, I forget what its called. My midwife will have me go in for it if I go past 42 weeks.  Good luck!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM

They can do NST and ultrasound to check on baby and if the placenta is aging.  You have every right to post pone or deny the induction too.  I would have him explain why he wants to induce so fast.

Megara
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Completely ridiculous but unfortunately getting more and more common.  If he was really that concerned, he could do a non-stress test or biophysical profile.  More likely he just doesn't want to wait around anymore.  40 weeks is the midpoint of the typical "due month," not a magic date.  You are not "overdue" until you are past 42 weeks.

ariesp19
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

oh, sorry, you can go to 42 weeks.... a 'normal' pregnancy is between 38-42 weeks! stand up for yourself!

Ati_13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

If you don't want to fight him then you need to find a new doctor.  That is not evidence based care, he is only increasing your risks.

Mrs.Evans87
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM

My friend had her induction at 41 weeks but the dr. wouldn't let her go past that.

Ati_13
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Ladies, please remember that the doctor doesn't "let" you do anything.  HE IS NOT THE BOSS OF YOU.

BaByMaMa27
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Mine will only let me go one DAY over what HE thinks is my due date, ohhhh PLUS they arent sure of my due date. its anywhere from June 7th-12th! Sooo... hes using the 7th! WTF

Quoting Mrs.Evans87:

My friend had her induction at 41 weeks but the dr. wouldn't let her go past that.

christine.r2624
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Deny it. My dr tried to induce me at 40wks and something days *my due date was really unclear so we knew I was past 40 weeks but didnt know how far* and i said No. The next day I went into labor on my own, and when I got to L&D, they were like "oh werent you supposed to be induced yesterday??" I told my doctor no and she STILL scheduled it... apparently she thought I was joking.

doulala
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM

No matter if you are very high-risk, you can not be forced into induction at any gestation.   But if you're healthy & fine it is a convenience induction~   not for safety.

YOU get to decide what you want.

When we hire our providers we pay for their opinions and experiences and philosophies.    We *may* choose to agree & consent to their suggestions   -or-  we may not.

Always OUR decision!

REGARDING the "aging" placenta:

Medical Indications For Inducing Labor

Medical indications for inducing labor may include, but are not limited to, the following conditions in either mother or baby:

• High blood pressure
  • Premature rupture of the membranes
  • Maternal infection or medical problems, such as diabetes mellitus, kidney disease, or chronic pulmonary disease
  • Suspected fetal jeopardy
  • Fetal death
  • Severe blood incompatibility
  • Severe pre-eclampsia or toxemia
  • Postdate pregnancy, where there is a proven danger to the baby

Source: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists

The American Academy of Family Physicians' 1996   Assessment of Post-Term Pregnancies concludes that whether there is any "fetal testing modality that will provide the most accurate prediction of a healthy fetus is debatable.

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/peds_hrpregnant/iugr.cfm
IUGR~     Factors involving the uterus and placenta:

• decreased blood flow in the uterus and placenta
  • placental abruption (placenta detaches from the uterus)
  • placenta previa (placenta attaches low in the uterus)
  • infection in the tissues around the fetus

IUGR is saying that growth restictions are prone to happen at any point and not necessarily at any "cut-off" date (week gestation).

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/amazing_placenta.html
The conventional thinking has been that the placenta "ages" past term, potentially compromising the baby's growth, well-being, and ability to cope with labor. However, placental anatomists have shown that the placenta continues to expand and increase in surface area beyond 40 weeks, and that the placenta has a large "functional reserve." (7)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)