Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding and getting pregnant

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM
  • 38 Replies

i read in a magazine, a breastfeeding article...that women who breastfeed have only a 2% chance to actually get pregnant while breastfeeding.....should i rely on this....or get on BC? have you gotten pregnant while breastfeeding?

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, and handsome little man, Bryant Allyn (sucessful VBAC). Loving fiance to Lee. Cloth diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, NON-CIO, Non-Circumcising, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tashangel31
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:34 PM

oh know you are just as fertile when you are bfing...i wouldnt chance it!!!

amy31308
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I've heard that you shouldn't relay on that as a primary form of BC!

babycakes041903
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I would get on BC. A girl who's child goes to my child's daycare just had twins three months ago and was relying on BFing as her BC and she is now preggo again. That would scare me every month:)

Rachellynn1385
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Don't chance it get on bc as soon as you can....a friend of mine had her baby then went for her 6 week appt and found out she was pregnant again, dont take that chance. Good luck.

sblynch05
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

my dd is 14 months and i got preggo when she was 10 months but miscarried and just got preggo again at 13 months. so it is possible!

Megara
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Anytime you are regularly going 4 hours or more between feedings you could start ovultating again even if you don't start a period.  I was EBFing my daughter, nursing on demand, and I still got my period back after 3 months (I didn't stop nursing her until she was 2 1/2).

MommyRJ
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

i wouldnt rely on that!!! look at michelle duggar!!! basically every baby was conceived while she was breastfeeding the last one....thats almost 20 kids!

Brittany.Dann
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I would go ahead and get on BC.

stellarluna
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I would not rely on it at all.  I do have a cousin who did rely on it and she has four kids all 2 years apart because of breastfeeding, but not everyone's body works like that.  I've known a few women get pregnant while EBF, and one found out at her 6 week check!  YIKES!  For us, dh is chosing to snip, so we're obviously done!

K.a.C.87
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM

i just can NEVER remember to take my BC pills....i only remember when it is the Nuva ring, cuz thats once a month! lol but i dont want my supply to drop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)